Disabling Nitro PDF

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by LenC, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I downloaded free version of Nitro PDF because I like it's capability to highlight and make notes on PDF files.

I notice now that when I open a pdf file within internet explorer that it uses nitro pdf. How do I stop that? For that purpose, I want to continue using Acrobat Reader?

BTW, it also changed (without asking) the default for any pdf file that I open in windows. I knew how to change it back to acrobat, but don't know how to do it in IE8.

Thanks,
    Len

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Not using IE8 but for IE9 -- Open IE, choose Tools, Internet options,programs, set programs. Scroll down the list and look for pdf files, click once on pdf files and select change. Choose your program for pdf files.

3. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Thanks Ron. PDF files are not included in list in IE8.

I deleted Nitro PDF and reinstalled Acrobat. Everything is back to normal.

I'm getting tired of installing programs and having all sorts of things changed - even though I am always careful to "uncheck" the box for additional installations. I guess that's a sign of the times.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Probably best to use just one pdf program to avoid confusing Windows. :D

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

if you wanted to use it you can install it and then during install uncheck to use it as your default pdf reader, also depending on which os you have (xp, vista, win7) after install you can go to control panel and set the adobe reader as the default from there. ie will normally use the default pdf reader unless otherwise specified in ie. i had way to many issues with nitro pdf personally i use foxit myself and other than having to uncheck the toolbar during install its a great pdf reader/editor.

6. LenC

LenC Registered Member

Zfactor -

That's exactly what I did. However, IE8 was still attempting to use Nitro PDF to open pdf files - it was prompting me to download a Nitro ActiveX file when I tried to open a PDF from within IE8.

Thanks,
    Len

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.