Disabling email scanning in EAV 4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by gaslad, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

I have successfully installed the default version of EAV 4, and have no problems with it. I'm very happy that I upgraded from Nod32 v2.7 when I just recently had to renew my subscription after 2 years (with no problems).

However, I wish to make sure that "email scanning" is totally disabled, as my research indicates this is not only an unecessary and redundant feature (the resident protection should catch any malware when I open the email and it writes to disk) but also that such scanning can pose a threat to my Outlook Express and Outlook email:
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?p=188050#p188050
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EOAAC

When I click on Setup>Email client protection, and disable it, my Tray icon turns orange and I get a message alert that maximum protection may not be insured.

I know I was able to disable email scanning in NOD32 2.7 without such dire warnings, but how do I do it in EAV 4? The pdf Help file is confusing on this topic, to say the least!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Your assumption is wrong. Web and email protection use more paranoid heuristics which results in better protection with no impact on existing files on the disk in terms of false positives.

Email protection can be disabled in the main setup by disabling POP3/POP3S checking as well as integration with email clients.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  3. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

Thank you, Marcos.

Email scanning now disabled, and icon stays green.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.