Disabling AV/AT when Installing?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Robyn, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have been listenning to some podcasts about Rootkits plus reading about them on forums.

Something which I was wondering about was the fact when I install any software (after scanning it if it was downloaded)
    I would normally disconnect from my ADSL and then shut down my security software eg NOD32 + BOclean.
    This is something I have always adhered to especially when the software recommends shutting down running applications.

Back to the Rootkit worry - should I be leaving NOD + BOClean running when I install as they may detect a rootkit in the actual installer?
    I only install 'trusted' software and if possible purchased on disc or online as registered but would like extra advice on the possiblity if a nasty rootkit was lurking would it be detected on the last reboot for the install when the security software is active on boot?

I hope this makes sense.

2. Magnus Mischel

Magnus Mischel Security Expert

You shouldn't shut down your security software when installing applications. The "you are strongly recommended to close all running applications" is hogwash in 99% of cases and is only there to protect the software makers from liability. (Think McDonald's-hot-coffee-suit. They now inform you on the cup that the coffee is indeed hot.) The only case where I would shut down all running applications is if I were installing a service pack, driver upgrade or anything similar which might make low-level modifications to the system.

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you for this clarifcation I was always wondering if this would be detrimental but now I know for sure.
    Appreciate your reply and will leave my security running with future installs.

Thank you

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

The only time I would consider disabling security apps is if you are flashing your router with firmware. If your av gives a false positive in the middle of the upgrade, then your router could end up being bricked(bricked is basically what the name suggests, its only function is working like a brick, no more useful electronics :D ).

On all other occasions, I always keep my security software running.

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.