DISABLE THE IE HOME PAGE SETTINGS QUESTION

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by SPIFFYPOP, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SPIFFYPOP

SPIFFYPOP Registered Member

SPYWAREBLASTER LOCATION-TOOLS-MISC IE SETTINGS.WILL CHECKING THIS BOX PREVENT BROWSER HIJACKERS FROM CHANGING PROXY SETTINGS? I'VE HAD EASYSEARCH REGISTRY SPYWARE DO THIS. IT HAD PROXY OVERRIDE IN THE SEQUENCE STRING.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The IE Home page selection in Spywareblaster will only prevent local users(those sitting at your computer)....from changing the Home page and in no way affects proxy settings.

3. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

If you want to stop other things changing your proxy settings it depends on how it was done in the first place, its only a very small part of the picture to try and fix...

If you want to stop yourself from being able to get to the Connections tab then you can set a registry value or using something like X-Setup (http://www.x-setup.net) to have a friendly interface to do it with

If you want to have a look in the registry to see the settings available, look in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
    The one that would stop access to the Connections tab is "ConnectionsTab", a value of 1 means do not display the tab. You may need to logout before you see the results (or at least restart IE)

Similarly you can stop IE changing your homepage by setting "HomePage" to 1

Messing with the registry is a good time waster - especially if you get it wrong because all sorts of things will stop working
    X-Setup Pro is free for home use and does the same thing (as would your favourite tool of choice if you happen to prefer a different one) I am only suggesting this one because it is free (from home use..) and I have used it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.