Disable The Acronis Device?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by curlysir, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curlysir

curlysir Registered Member

From the Users Guide: "When installed, Acronis True Image Home creates a new device in the Device Manager list (Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Acronis Devices -> Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive Explorer). Do not disable or uninstall this device, as it is necessary for connecting image archives as virtual disks (see Chapter 12. Exploring archives and mounting images)."

I do not plan to use virtual disks and would like to disable this device. I suspect that this driver is causing a conflict with The Western Digitial Diaganostic Utility that is causing Windows to reboot when I try to run the WD Diaganostic Utility.

If I disable this device is the disabling of the virtual disk function the only thing that will happen or will other functions of TI not work?

2. curlysir

I answered my own question! Do NOT disable this device.

Windows will not reboot with this device disabled. I just disabled this device and tried to reboot. Windows would not reboot in standard or safe mode. It would get to the screen asking me how I wanted to boot (safe or standard mode). It didn't matter what I choose windows would not boot and would recycle to this screen.

I was able to restore the disk using a backup I had just made by using the Program Cd.

3. jaytodd

jaytodd Registered Member

I am glad you posted your question and your findings, Curlysir… because I also intended to disable the Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive Explorer.

Does this mean that Acronis has inserted itself into the Windows boot processes and is now a required component for the continued use of my Windows XP operating system?

Perhaps someone has some experience with this issue.

4. Clearline

Clearline Registered Member

I uninstalled the component in device manager, which did not seem to effect my system for rebooting. and I can still create an image.

Uninstalled to see if this device was causing my system to crash, when I tried to explore. was warned could not explore without reinstalled, but computer still crashed anyhow.

ACRONIS - How about just a simple reader programs, that loads on demand.

5. curlysir

This may be the difference. I did not unistall the driver I just disabled it. It maybe that uninstall will work whereas disabling causes problems. Now, Am I brave enough to try it?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello curlysir and everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as stated in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide (the psrt you have quoted) we do not recommend to disable or uninstall Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive Explorer.

If you suspect that Acronis TrueImage Backup Archive Explorer is causing a conflict with The Western Digitial Diaganostic Utility, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please perform the action described in this previous post of mine to enable Windows mini-dumps. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

That's basically what happens with the service. It's not like it's using up any resources while dormant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.