Disable SRT and Fast Boot ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Everywhere I look disabling SRT and fast boot when installing to an SSD and with UEFI enabled is advised.
    Why is this ?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Fast boot as in skipping checks? Or? BTW, I would ignore any tweaking article because they are just random witchcraft.
    The defaults are perfectly sane for the vast majority of ordinary users and uses, and hw devs do know their stuff.
    Mrk

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Well, i am asking because this is the first time I am booting Kubuntu in UEFI mode from a SSD. Just got a new ASUS TUF Z270 Mk.2 motherboard but disabled Fast Boot in the 'BIOS' (there is no disable/enable SRT which may have to do with RAID?).
    All's well and I am booting in ± 8 to 10 secs. from cold.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI states the following under the heading General Principles:-

"In your firmware, disable QuickBoot/FastBoot and Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT). If you have Windows 8, also disable Fast Startup."

Is this not what you would agree with?

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Oh, I see. I thought you meant Linux /fastboot option.

Well, it's up to you really. That may only be troublesome if you dual boot and then hibernate the system. The downside is possibly marginally slower boot times.

In general, exposed BIOS/UEFI menu features are safe. They are there for a reason.

Mrk

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Right, thank you. Will keep it disabled - 8 secs is plenty fast for me.
    Funny thing is there are no beeps or messages during POST - only brief message to press DEL or F2 for BIOS.
    But, everything is working splendidly.

6. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

What is "SRT"?

7. guest

guest Guest

"Smart Response Technology"
    It is a (proprietary) caching mechanism where the SSD can be used as a Cache (maximum=64 GB) for the HDD.
    ("SSD-Caching")

8. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I thought this had been abandoned already. It can cause boot problems difficult to solve, should be disabled.

9. guest

guest Guest

Yeah. It is an old technology from a few years ago. A lot has changed, especially the prices of SSDs.

10. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Hi Ocky, do you have a thread on Kubuntu here? I've moved to Kubuntu recently and would like to read it if you have one. I'm sure to pick up something useful there :)

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Hi vasa1, your best bet would be the forums https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum.php

Have fun.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.