Disable real time protection

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Paul_E, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul_E

Paul_E Registered Member

With the latest version is it possible to disable the real time protection until such as time as you want to switch it back on?
    I noticed in the past that you could untick real time protection, but as soon as you reboot it automatically restarts, is this still the case with the latest release?

Paul

2. Paul_E

Paul_E Registered Member

Well I found the answer as I installed it again. Even if you untick the boxes they are automatically ticked on reboot, why don't Eset allow the user to determine how they want it to work or not work as the case may be?
    I will keep trying new releases until the subscription runs out but if they keep overriding user choice I won't buy a new license.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Disabling automatic real-time protection startup will make the driver not to load at all. However, it won't beb possible to enable it as long as the driver is loaded (a computer restart will be required).

It works that way because we know how many people forgot to enable AMON once they have disabled it and security of our customers matters.

4. mystp

mystp Registered Member

So this means that you effectively can't disabled realtime protection (since it's automatically enabled again after a reboot)? If so, that's very surprising, and it would be great if the user choice was actually respected.

If it is indeed possible to disable the realtime protection permanently, I'd love to know how.

Thanks,
    - Asbjoern

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Disable automatic real-time protection startup and it will remain disabled after a computer restart.

6. mystp

mystp Registered Member

Hi Marcos

How is that done exactly? Each time I remove the checkmark from "Enable real-time file system protection", it re-enables itself upon reboot. Is there another place I should disable it? Also, is it possible to remove the balloon popup warning that real-time protection is disabled, but retain all other warnings?

Thanks,
    - Asbjoern

7. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

I think You Donot understand what MARCOS said

Attached Files:

• 3232.jpg
      3232.jpg
      File size:
      65.2 KB
      Views:
  8. viruscraft

viruscraft Registered Member

If you want disable real-time protection and remain it disabled after a computer restart.You should follow those twe steps:
    1.uncheck " enable real-time protection "
    2.uncheck "automatic real-time protection startup"

9. mystp

mystp Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification!

10. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

I have a question about this setup page. Why have two check boxes for real-time protection; one for enable and another for automatic. If the top enable is checked, wouldn't it be enabled anyway? What's the difference? In my setup I found that automatic wasn't checked and I don't know the reason as I've never changed the setting, but I have now checked it. I thought with the top enable checked, I'd be covered with real-time protection.

11. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The first one (Antivirus and antispyware protection) is used to generally enable/disable all the protections + the start-up scans settings for the antimalware part .

The second one is used to change the settings for the real-time file system protection module (AMON in NOD32 v2) .

12. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

If i change the ThreatSense parameters in Antivirus and spyware protection i change it globally or just for the start-up scans?

13. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

I'm not sure of your answer.

Top one: Enable real-time file protection system.

Bottom one: Automatic real-time file protection system startup.

Both only talk to real-time file protection; nothing more.

A user could check the top one thinking that real-time file protection is enabled; however, the bottom one leads me to believe that the top one will do nothing unless the bottom setting automatic startup is enabled. Both are about real-time file protection; nothing more. I think this page could use some improvement for clarification on how the top and bottom settings are related to each other. I tried looking into the help file earlier and found myself writing here in the forum.

Edit: This is after clicking on the Real-time file protection item under the Antivirus and antispyware heading in Advance Settings mode. The screen below isn't the screen I'm referencing. The screen further up this thread is the one.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2008
  14. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The first one is global - it simply disables all protections . The botton of the 1st section will control the settings for the start-up scans (but the start-up scans are enabled/disabled from the Scheduler) .

Here is a proof:

1.png

2.png

The second section (Real-time file system protection) controls the AMON part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.