Disable NOD Completely

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by TheIgster, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheIgster

TheIgster Registered Member

OK, so I'm trying to download the beta install of Comodo Backup and no matter what I do, NOD says the file has an issue. Others are using it. It's from the Comodo web site directly, there is no issue with the file. I disable Nod from the right click menu and even add this file to the exclusions list, but Nod still pops up and deletes it.

How can I turn NOD off completely or tell it to leave this file alone? What good is an exclusion listing if you add the exact path and filename to it and NOD still deletes the fricken' file?

Arghhhh...

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

You may do so by the following How do I temporarily disable ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus?

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

In completely different circumstances I have been wondering about the same.

EAV4.2.40.0 warned me recently about an attachment in a 9 years old Outlook Express email. I wanted to have a look at that email/attachment. I disabled EAV4 real-time scanning. Then I went to that email in Outlook Express to have a look and to save that attachment to another place for further examination. And low and behold: EAV4 went into action. My conclusion: temporarily disabling EAV4 is not what it tells you.

5. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

6. siljaline

Hi Jan !

The intention of the system tray shortcut menu's is exactly as you have shown in your screen capture that you posted.

However, I would not fully disable the entire AV unless the action you are performing completely merits doing this.

7. TheIgster

Thanks for your posts guys. I was able to get around it finally. Not quite sure how I did, but I did. Man, what a pain. I could disable file system protection, but not the web portion. Sure is not as user friendly and easy as simply disabling all shields in Avast for example. Not happy with this. If I want to disable the WHOLE AV, I should be able to without uninstalling the darn thing.

8. siljaline

See screenshot that might make your life easier the next time you have to do this TheIgster

Attached Files:

9. TheIgster

Um, yeah, I did that. :rolleyes: C'mon, give a little more credit...

Unfortunately it does not disable web protection. I can see no way to disable web protection. So it still deleted the file everytime I tried to download it. It was quite the battle to try and get this file to download and stay. I shouldn't have to fight with my AV product.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  10. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your reply, as always appreciated!

I hope that I don't hijack the thread of TheIgster.

As I said, the issue is that I disabled the real-time scanner from the system tray (as showed in my screenshot), but nevertheless EAV4 jumped into in action when I got onto that email with its attachment. In my opinion, disable is disable. If EAV4 nevertheless gets into action, then EAV4 is not doing what I said it to do and what it confirmed. That is where the problem is!!!

BTW, that attachment was about an FP from InoculateIT in 2001 on a wrapper surrounding NetScanTools. I had contact at that time with both companies, and InoculateIT confirmed it was an FP (Win32.Magistr.2918:cool: and it was fixed. EAV4 was now suddenly thinking it was a variant of Win32/Kryptik.EWG trojan. Mind you, 9 years later. That's why I felt safe to disable EAV4, with no internet connection. Well, EAV4 did give the warning, I saved the file in a password protected zip-file, and it was removed from my Outlook Express.
    Going back to topic: I disabled the real-time scanning of EAV4 and nevertheless it acted upon that email-attachment. Why, that's the question here...

11. siljaline

You don't have to fight with your AV if you followed what I had originally posted ;)

12. TheIgster

Meh, if I right click the icon and choose disable real time file system protection, IMO, that should disable everything. Nice and quick and easy. How about an option to disable the whole thing? Why hide things within setup?

Edit...I can see now that there are two options on the right click menu. Disabling file system protection does something different than the other disable option. The other option disables everything. Sorry, but that's just not very clear. Why have two options?

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

@TheIgster

Wich of these two disable options in the tray disables the WHOLE AV/Suite?

1. Disable real-time file system protection?

2. Disable Antivirus and antispyware protection?

Just so I know if I need to do the same.;)

14. TheIgster

SweX, it's the second option you listed.

15. siljaline

As already posted as an option here

16. TheIgster

Yes, yes, we get it.

17. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks very much to TheIgster, siljaline, SweX :thumb:

I understand it now. I used the first option, and I now finally understand that you need to use the second option.

18. siljaline

You are most welcome, FanJ :thumb:

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Great, Thanks "Locke";)

20. TheIgster

np... ;)

21. mhorton

mhorton Registered Member

Neither. Something is still running with either/both of those disabled.
    I didn't try the "temporarily disable" option in setup, because I had advanced mode on which disabable that option (advanced mode removes options? How is that Advanced??) so that may work.

22. siljaline

See my original reply this is how it is done, if you have issues accomplishing this task, post back to this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.