Disable firewall and anti-spam?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by syntax, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syntax

syntax Registered Member

GREAT anti-virus software. Keep up the good work. However, my experience with the other features of Smart Security has not been the all that great.

I don't fetch mail from an Exchange or Lotus server, nor do I fetch it via IMAP or POP3. I simply use the web-based interface of Gmail. Gmail's spam filter has done its job perfectly, thus far. I don't feel that there's a need for me to use the anti-spam feature in Smart Security and I think that it would save me some system resources if I disable or remove it.

As for the firewall, it's just an added layer of protection that I don't find very useful. In fact, I've find out to be intrusive and isn't very informative. I'm behind a personal gateway/router device that has its own firewall. I'm also in my own private IP space (non-routable to the Internet). Not only that, but I use Microsoft's firewall and it seems to do its job well enough. I find ESET's firewall to be intrusive because it seems to think I'm under some kind of attack and prevents me from going anywhere. One second, I'm happily browsing the web. Then, out of nowhere, I can't even get any DNS responses, even from my own internal gateway/router device. After disabling the ESET firewall, I'm good to go.

Is there a way to remove the firewall and/or anti-spam filter in ESET Smart Security v4. I could live with disabling it, but I'd like the ESET icon to display itself in a fashion that doesn't show a generic (lack of) security problem. As it is right now, if I disable it, the icon is red and I can't distinguish whether it's simply because I've disabled the firewall and/or anti-spam services, or if the anti-virus and/or anti-malware portion of the software is not functioning.

Below is my current version information. I've downloaded the latest version and will apply it after submitting this forum message.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Virus signature database: 5474 (20100923)
    Update module: 1031 (20091029)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1285 (20100820)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1114 (20100827)
    Archive support module: 1122 (20100826)
    Cleaner module: 1048 (20091123)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1021 (20100811)
    Personal firewall module: 1061 (20100607)
    Antispam module: 1014 (20100212)
    SysInspector module: 1217 (20100907)
    Self-defense support module : 1016 (20100404)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1004 (20100727)

2. MinDokan

MinDokan Registered Member

You should be able to install ESET NOD32 Antivirus with your ESET Smart Security license.

3. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello syntax,

You can download and install NOD32 Antivirus with a Smart Security license. Since Smart Security has the added features we have created the license to allow customers to have the freedom to chose which product they would like to have installed and running at any given time during the lifetime of the license. Please let me know if you have any trouble.

Thank you,
    Richard

4. syntax

syntax Registered Member

Many thanks! I'll do that. The anti-virus and anti-malware is all I need and I think NOD32 does an impeccable job at it. Keep up the great work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.