Disable email protection via ERAS

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by sedell, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sedell

sedell Registered Member

How do I disable the email protection via the ERAS configuration editor? I'm trying to set up a configuration for a server using NOD32 3.0.684. In the program itself, I'm looking right at the checkbox under Antivirus and antispyware -> Email protection -> Enable email protection, but I can't seem to find a setting in the ERAS configuration editor that will unset that.

2. CarlB

CarlB Former Eset Employee

You'll actually find it under Personal firewall -> Setup -> Enable email checking.

Alternatively, check the following:

Email filter -> Setup -> Scan received messages, Scan sent messages, Scan read messages.

Email client -> Setup -> Integrate into (everything)

Set all of that to "No" and you'll be good.

3. sedell

sedell Registered Member

Then I have another issue. I have this set to "No" in the policy config file. When I view the machine's configuration through ERAS, it shows it set to "No". When I open up NOD32 on the machine, it's set to "Yes". I thought I had the wrong setting since it didn't make the change I expected to see.

4. CarlB

Interesting. Try exporting the configuration from the client to XML, then get that file in the same place with the XML configuration file from the server. Open up a command prompt and type:
    (Replace file1 and file2 with your files, of course)

Look for areas of interest, particularly this one:
    If you want to post the pertinent portions of FC's output here, that would be cool.

5. sedell

sedell Registered Member

Well, it looks like they "forgot" to include the setting in the configuration editor. I took a blank configuration, disabled 'Enable email checking', then saved the file. I got:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <ESET>
     <SECTION ID="1000103">
      <SETTINGS ID="3315216C">
       <PLUGINS>
        <PLUGIN ID="1000200">
         <PROFILES>
          <NODE NAME="@My profile" TYPE="SUBNODE">
           <NODE NAME="pop3_enable" VALUE="0" TYPE="DWORD" />
          </NODE>
         </PROFILES>
        </PLUGIN>
       </PLUGINS>
      </SETTINGS>
     </SECTION>
    </ESET>
    It's the switch for POP3 scanning. I then took a client with 'Antivirus and antispyware' -> 'Email protection' -> 'Enable email protection' enabled and exported the config file. I then disabled the setting, and exported the config file again. I ran a file compare on those files and came up with:

Code:
    Comparing files VPC03_Email_Disabled.xml and VPC03_EMAIL_ENABLED.XML
    ***** VPC03_Email_Disabled.xml
           <NODE NAME="MoveFolder" VALUE="Infected Items" TYPE="STRING" />
           <NODE NAME="IsEnabled" VALUE="0" TYPE="DWORD" />
          </NODE>
    ***** VPC03_EMAIL_ENABLED.XML
           <NODE NAME="MoveFolder" VALUE="Infected Items" TYPE="STRING" />
           <NODE NAME="IsEnabled" VALUE="1" TYPE="DWORD" />
          </NODE>
    Then, I opened up the config editor, did a right-click and selected Mark on the 'ESET Smart Security, ESET NOD32 Antivirus' node, then saved. This should give me a file of every setting the config editor can set. I did a search of that file for IsEnabled, and it found nothing.

This new ERAS is becoming a nightmare.

6. CarlB

This just went to the top of my pile. I'll replicate it here and report it if necessary, and let you know how it goes.

Thanks for being a sport and checking the files out for us :thumb:

7. sedell

sedell Registered Member

Thanks for looking into that. It's becoming an issue submitting cases through the website. They never have an answer, and sometimes completely wrong answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.