Disable/Block Macromedia Flash in Firefox?

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by lappen, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lappen

lappen Spyware Fighter

Is the Flash killer function in Spywareblaster going to be expanded to also work for Firefox?

If not is there a way to disable flash in Firefox?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I have not found mention of this yet by Javacool....but still searching.

For those times I have used Firefox....FlashBlock may be something you want to consider.

3. dog

dog Guest

I don't think it be possible as it isn't a matter of a simply editing a register entry (like IE). I haven't ever found anything in about:config but it appears to be possible through ... Tools -> Options -> Downloads -> Plugins = then disabling the to SWF entries (screen shot) should accomplish the task. Or like Bubba suggested Flash Block/Ad Block can certainly do it, using a Web Filter such as Proxomitron is also very effective.

The most drastic move would be to remove Macromedia Flash all together - you can get the uninstallers from this Macromedia KB article - http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157

Attached Files:

• swf.jpg
      swf.jpg
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
  4. lappen

lappen Spyware Fighter

Ok Thanx, will try Flashblock

5. lappen

lappen Spyware Fighter

Thanx for the Info dog!

What I wont is to get rid of the “additional pluggins is required to display” message in Firefox.

I guess a way would be to install Flash and then block it but it seems backwards ;)

Attached Files:

6. dog

dog Guest

Hi Lappen,

Go into about:config and change the following:
    Which should disable that information bar from appearing. ;)

The list of about:config entries can be found here - http://kb.mozillazine.org/ Search for about:Config then scroll down to "About:config entries — MozillaZine KB's list of preferences and what they do." ... I had tried to give you a direct link to the article but it ends up producing an error ... the page is located here http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries

And here's another resource on Mozilla/Firefox Hacks - http://open.itworld.com/5037/book_050425firefoxhacks/pfindex.html

HTH,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2005
  7. lappen

lappen Spyware Fighter

Thanx for the Info dog, but that seems to disable the bar for all pluggins and that seems to be a bit drastic, I guess I will have to install flash and then disable/block it.

//Lappen

8. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

I've seen this in unofficial builds of K-Meleon. If you want to experiment, go to C:\ etc Applications Data\Mozilla Control, and click through the subfolders to get to one called chrome, and find userContent.css. Copy that file into the chrome folder in your Firefox profile, open it in a text editor and follow the instructions. Briefly playing around with it I've managed to block flash entirely; it should also be possible to set it so that buttons appear on web pages that can be clicked to open any flash content you might want.

9. lappen

lappen Spyware Fighter

I decied to install Flash and then disable it as per dogs instructions (disable swf), worked great :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.