Disable AV Real Time Protection ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Hard Rocker, May 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

:D Hi,

I have just finished reading a post in another thread where a member suggested ..... temporarily disabling real time antivirus protection before running an on line scan ( Trend Micro House Call ) in order to prevent any conflicts.

Firstly, I would like to say that this posting is NOT designed to " bash " this members advice ..... but to satisfy my own curiosity .... as I DO NOT follow this practice.

I use Norton AV 2005 ..... and for backup I run the Trend Micro House Call on line scanner. I also have Bit Defender free v7.2 as an additional on demand scanner.

Any thoughts or suggestions ? o_O

HR :cool:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally do not disable my av to use an online scan.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Think about how a real time scanner operates - it will typically scan a file that is accessed (settings do matter - let's assume an all files scenario), the net result is that each file an on-line scanner examines is scanned by your realtime engine first. This can really slow things down since you are basically running two parallel scans. It comes down to how sensitive you are to speed. The same comment holds for a second installed on-demand scanner.

Blue

4. Hard Rocker

:) Blue,

OK ...... I agree that the speed issue definitely makes sense. But, I was more concerned about any conflicts ...... that this member had said ...... may arise from leaving the resident AV running while using another scanner. ;)

HR

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Conflicts are not the issue. If you're OK with the speed, the choice is yours. If you plan to perform other tasks while the on-line scan progresses, BigC's recommendation is the one to follow since files/operations related to those tasks may not be covered by the on-line scan.

Blue

6. Hard Rocker

:D Thanks once again guys,

That is what I thought ...... but I just wanted to be reassured by the voices ...... or in this case ...... the keyboards of experience !!

HR :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.