DirectCD vs. InCD

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After reading this topic, I'm interested in Nero to replace Easy CD Creator.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=91829
    My actual Easy CD Creator isn't legit and I'm removing all my illegal softwares systematically and this is the second last one.

DirectCD comes with Easy CD Creator 5 Platinium, I'm very sure about that, because I use that software.
    InCD comes with Nero and I ASSUME that InCD works exactly like directCD, at least according my readings.
    What I like about directCD is the use of a CD (in drive D: ) like a diskette (in drive A: ) with the same possibilities, especially the use of copy/paste in Windows Explorer without burning CD's.

1. Question #1 :
    I have many CD-RW's, which are formatted with directCD. In fact I use directCD as a backup for my personal files, because I don't have a professional backup system and I don't really need one, not on my home computer.
    Can I read and write directCD-RW's with Nero InCD or do I have to start all over again ?

2. Question #2 :
    Formatting a CD-RW with directCD takes a very long time (more than 20 minutes).
    Is Nero InCD any better or just the same ?

3. Question #3 :
    Is using directCD/InCD as technical safe as burning a CD or is there a difference ?

4. Question #4 :
    DirectCD-RW's have a capacity of 533 MB in stead of 650 MB due to the directCD formatting.
    That's not a problem for me.
    However, I heard (I don't know if it is true) that a directCD-RW has the same capacity (650 MB) as a normal CD, when your OS = winXP and not win2000proSP4, which I use at this moment.
    Is that true ?

5. Question #5 :
    I'm also planning to read and write on DVD in the future after buying a new computer.
    Is Nero able to read and write on DVD and can I use InCD to use a DVD as a diskette (in drive A: ) ?

Just share your experiences or knowledge, whatever it is, I will appreciated it.
    Most of my questions aren't really answered any where.

2. JRosenfeld

JRosenfeld Registered Member

CDs burnt with packet writing software such as InCD or Direct CD are not reliable for long term storage of backups; the information on them is easily corrupted. In Roxio, it is better to use CD data project in Easy CD creator, and in Nero, its equivalent. These require a blank (fresh out of the pack CD and there is no formatting, another advantage for you since you say it is the formatting that takes the time.
    Also CD-RW disks are less reliable than CD-R. Despite what the manufacturers claim, a CD RW disk will rarely survive being rwritten more than a couple of dozen times. The info on them is also more likely to fade more quickly than on a CD-R. CD-R disks are so cheap these days, it is really not expensive to use them for backup.

I suggest that you visit the Roxio user's forum, at

http://boards.support.roxio.com/rox...s.support.roxio.com/roxio/board?board.id=0042

and in particular read through this post:

http://boards.support.roxio.com/roxio/board/message?board.id=0042&message.id=150033

It also has useful info on how to uninstall roxio fully, using roxizap (with link to download).

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

JRosenfeld,
    Thank you very much for your time, info and links.
    I guess, I have to change my working with CD's totally.
    Another note in my Disappointment Diary :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.