direct partition copy?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aHa, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aHa

aHa Registered Member

Isn't it possible to directly copy one partition to an other partition (not a whole disc cloning)?

It would be nice to copy the actual running operating system partition to a second partition on the disc directly (on the fly) without the step of creating an image file, this would save time.

DriveImage always was able to do so.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, aHa

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

No, I do not believe Disk Clone will, a clone is a clone if you take bits away you do not have a clone.

You say Di was able [and if it still can] it is not a Disk Clone is it, and if you have it use it.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. aHa

aHa Registered Member

So should I put it on the wishlist?

Would be a nice to have feature:
    Copy (clone) a single partition (not the whole disc) without the detour of creating an image file.
    Very usefull for making a copy of current OS in multiboot environment.

4. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

Doesn't the 'ADD a NEW DISK' function permit you to copy the os to another HD directly o_O Chapter 8 of the manual

5. aHa

aHa Registered Member

Yes, I've seen the 'ADD a new DISK' and 'Transfer to new disk' functions, but all of this functions require deleting/adding of partitions on the new disk.
    I dont' want to do this, this implies loosing all the data of the other partitions on the second disk.
    I just want to copy one single partition from disk 1 to disk 2 (or on the same disk) without any re-partitioning or creation of an image file.

This was so easy with DriveImage, but seems to be impossible (or complicated) with TrueImage.

Isn't there a way to do this with TrueImage?

6. djmorgan

djmorgan Registered Member

Hang on a sec... I was just playing around with disk clone to solve your prob, and setting it to manual allows you to clone a single partition and set the size and location on the receiving drive... isn't this what you want to do. :rolleyes:

As to not creating a new partition well can't see your reasoning here, if you just wanted to copy the entire contents of drive C, you could do that with many programs but if you wanted it as a functioning active partition you'll need TI or something like DI, you could create a partition in free space on a new drive or existing drive and then copy the OS to that simple.

Copying to an existing partition would mean at the least to create a folder ie. Windows XP and then copy everything to that, you can do that with xcopy... but it won't be a bootable partition.

EDIT: forget the above as I go further into the wizard I see the imposibility of what you want as it needs to have an empty drive to write to.

Back to the original thought, but you will need to have an image, then mount the image and copy it with explorer to where you want it to go.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2004
  7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Acronis True Image doesn't have such function.

However, Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 (http://www.acronis.com/products/diskdirector/) allows you to copy partition to unallocated space on any hard drive. The question is will this partition be bootable or not. We cannot guarantee this.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 213
    South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis support department
    e-mail: support@acronis.com

Acronis... compute with confidence

8. aHa

aHa Registered Member

Thanks for this information.
    I'll put this on the wishlist, any chance to get this feature in near future?

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

We cannot tell you anything about the release date of this feature.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.