Digital Disease Terminator 2.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 12bytes, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12bytes

12bytes Registered Member

hi fellas!

i'm the developer of Digital Disease Terminator (DDT) and would like announce the release of the 2.0 version which is a MAJOR re-write of the 1.0 version (over 50 additions, changes and bug fixes).

DDT is basically a wrapper for running multiple, 3rd party, command line anti-virus scanners, of which it currently supports 5:

1. AntiVir (scancl.exe)
    2. ClamWin (clamscan.exe)
    3. Emsisoft (a2cmd.exe)
    4. Ikarus (t3scan.exe)
    5. Sophos (sav32cli.exe)

support for others can be provided upon request

DDT is a shareware application, but, although i depend on the tiny income my software generates, i have come up with a couple ways to give it away for free without the user having to jump through a bunch of hurdles. if interested, you can read more about that here.

DDT is squeaky clean software and contains no garbage, does not phone home unexpectedly, and does not collect any statistics or compromise privacy in any way. you can read more about my software ethic at the bottom of this page.

http://files.12bytes.org/apps/ddt/ddt-ss.gif

i'd appreciate any feedback you folks can provide should you decide to give it a test drive - note you can download an installer (inno) or a ZIP archive

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks for your dedication, can it make custom scans? What engines are being added in the future?

3. 12bytes

hi J_L

not sure what you mean by custom scans - if you mean, can it scan particular objects (files/folders), yes, absolutely. DDT supports anything the 3rd party programs support, so the command line arguments are completely customizable. i made it easy for novices to use by creating presets for each program so they don't have to get their hands dirty - for each program there are 8 preset command line arguments; 4 for running on-demand scans and 4 for running system scans - even these are fully editable. the easiest way to use it is to enable the option to add DDT to the Explorer SendTo context menu - from there you can select whatever objects you want and send them to DDT for scanning.

the cool thing about DDT is, not only can you run the programs consecutively OR concurrently, but you can enable from 1 to 4 command line arguments for each program... so... if you want to run a scan, but update the defs first, then you would select the consecutive option and have a command to do the updating followed by another to scan the objects. or... you could, if you wanted, run 4 instances of the same program with 4 different command line arguments... at the same time!

hmmm... never added up the numbers before, but i think you could actually run 4 separate instances of all 5 programs at the same time - that would be 20 scans running all at once :) and technically, you could add another 5 system scans on top of that. bloody useless, but impressive :)

if you enable QuickScan, then the objects will be scanned automatically without any user intervention.

as for scanners to be added in the future, i personally have no plans, but i'm open to suggestions. i developed the app for myself and rely on it heavily and, for myself, i'm pretty content with a2cmd and clamscan. AntiVir was just added in the 2.0 version and it looks pretty good, but i haven't kicked it around enough to really develop an opinion on it yet.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That's great, just what I'm looking for (custom scan and quick scan).

Kaspersky would be nice. Maybe VBA32 and VIPRE as well.

5. 12bytes

i will take note of your request and take a look at those - except for vipre - i just dropped that one because of the cleaning up and extra code involved. it leaves drivers and reg entries behind and, to top it off, apparently the vipre devs think it's a good idea to change the file name of the defs on a daily basis :)

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Please add Panda, Trend Micro and VBA32...:) And yes custom and quick scan would be great and with proper options to handle detections.

7. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I would suggest you look into adding Dr. Web and maybe Eset.

8. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

I fully agree with you! :thumb:

9. 12bytes

wow, so we have...
    Dr. Web
    Eset
    Panda
    Trend Micro
    VBA32
    Kaspersky

do they all have command line versions of their scanners?

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

These three have...

11. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

btw a2cmd.exe includes Ikarus engine and signatures so may as well remove t3scan.exe and the ikarus tab.

btw is it reccomended to run ddt.exe as administrator?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  13. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

14. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

15. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

I had a look at the website and one thing caught my attention.

"The portability of DDT also makes it a great tool for the system administrator or IT professional to carry with them when a workstation or customer machine is suspected of being compromised by viruses, back-doors, spyware or other threats."

Great idea, but I'm curious as to what sort of licensing arrangements you have come to with the various vendors. E.g. Avira. I've often thought it would be good to be able to take 'ScanCL.exe' with me to a customer's machines but AFAIK Avira (not being renowned for their munificence toward unlicensed users) still requires each machine to have a license key in order to run it. If you've sorted this out by some low-cost arrangement with the vendors, that is good news.

16. 12bytes

yeah, i'm aware of the partnership between the 2, but not of the technical differences between the executables. they are different and i'm not sure that they work the same. if you have any info on that, i'd be interested

it's not necessary to run DDT as admin, however some scanners may require it. i've done limited testing on a fairly virgin 7 VM with the dreaded UAC enabled under a limited account, and windows only complained when running sophos, but allowed me to override the warning

@Vladimyr - DDT does not come with any scanners, and i hope i don't sound rude because i don't mean to be, but i could care less about licensing.

a software vendor - including myself - can say whatever nonsense they want. once it's on my machine, it is my software. lawyers and patents and copyrights and licenses are all a childish joke IMO and have done nothing but hinder progress in many cases. i think many people around the globe are beginning to see how our monetary and legal systems have enslaved them and i think the move toward open source is an indication of that.

i'd love to GPL my stuff and dump the headache, but i'm kind of stuck having to feed the machine with useless paper we call money, which has no value, until the awakening spreads a little further :)

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Virtually useless in the Demo version, being disabled as soon as program exits.

Do these scanners remove threats by default?

Lastly, can you add the option to scan drives?

18. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

VB can create wraps pretty easy for stuff like this. nothing new here.

19. 12bytes

the only limitations are those imposed by the scanners, not DDT. any of them can scan drives and remove threats

as for "virtually useless", i depend on the very small income my software generates and the incentive to register is needed, so if it's useless, as you say, then register it

@Brocke - will be looking forward to testing your software

20. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Maybe you can reconcile the above posts. It's your life, your choices.
    As much as I'd like to wish you well on your crusade to free us all from enslavement to monetary and legal systems by denouncing patents, copyrights and licenses as a childish joke while simultaneously soliciting registration fees for your own software, I can't.

21. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Vladimyr

I also noticed the hypocrisy & was going to mention it !

@ 12bytes

I know you don't charge a lot :thumb: but adopting the policy you have, won't win many loyal fans :(

22. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

hi,

I doubt that this is here the right board for posting about such tools.
    There was in the past similar tools like KIMS or Mini AV Scanner, both discontinued, both coded by underground teams, and both with license issues and dilemma.
    As far as i know, the only offline legal multi av scanner is Metascan:

http://www.opswat.com/products/metascan

More over, why such tools? For PC defense? for malware detection, and especially MBR rootkits?
    More seriously just use a serious av that is in the market place since ten years or more...

Rgds

23. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

make sure the money you get that half goes to the people who created the Scanners your used. They are the real coders

24. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Dear Lord, did I just see on his website that this thing is PAYWARE? :blink: :blink: :blink:

After slamming the people that CREATE the scanners for asking money? o_O o_O o_O

As McEnroe would say: you cannot be serious! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

25. J_L

J_L Registered Member

More like shareware, I didn't keep it because of the limitations (like 30 seconds startup wait).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.