Differential Backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by martinlest, Apr 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinlest

martinlest Registered Member

If I choose differential backup each time, I get a series of files, just as with incremental backups. Should I be deleting any earlier differential file before I point to the original image file and make a new one? Can't see this mentioned in the documentation (did I miss it? Sorry for posting here, if so!).

Thanks,

Martin

2. Allen L.

Allen L. Registered Member

For a restore using differential backups, because all *changed* files from the original exist on each newly made differential file, you only need your first *complete* image file and the last made differential backup file to make a successful restore. So if you have 6 files...the first being the original image and #6 being the last differential, that would be all you need to made a complete restore. You can delete file #2, 3, 4, and 5. Just be sure to keep #1 and the last made differential, in this case #6.

...Allen

3. martinlest

Thanks. That is how I had figured it: I tend to delete any previous differential files before I create a new one (differential) - but didn't want to come to grief if and when I need to restore!

M. :)

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

You really should TEST a Restore now, when you don't need it, even if it means buying another hard drive. Even though you get the "Backup Successful" message, that doesn't mean it will give you a working Restore. Lots of messages here about people finding out the Restore didn't work when they really needed it.

5. martinlest

Oh, I almost always test the backups I make, to see if I can extract individual files or folders and so on. What I meant was I didn't want to delete a differential backup then find it had data I should have kept!

Thanks for the advice,

M.

6. martinlest

One other important thing occurs to me: if I delete folders and files after I make a full image, will those deletions be taken into account when I make a differential backup? In other words, if my main backup contains the folders/files, and later I make a differential backup after they've been removed from the drive, will a backup from the differential contain the deleted folders or not?

thank you,

M.

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

8. martinlest

Sorry - I didn't get any reply in this thread so thought I'd start a new one, as it is a different subject really anyway. I'll stick to the other thread now.

M. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.