Differential Backup limits and database modification

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by bucko8993, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucko8993

bucko8993 Registered Member

1.)Backup and recovery (Ver 10.?) indicates that it is possible to limit the number of differential backups by removing old storage files.

My problem is in the Freeware version I can't locate any method to limit the size of the differential backups. I looked thru the wizards and no place is the backup size shown and/or modifiable.

As an aside- noticed that a 23.0gb partition was backup as a 52.0+gb sized partition

Yesterday, downloaded the trial version, but have not installed it. However the help manual appears to indicate the identical instructions for limiting backup sizes. So I'm assuming the same functionality for both freeware and the Home trial version.

2.)Help manual indicates "strongly recommended not to remove backup images using Windows deletion method".

So how is the database amended when archives(image) shown don't permit unmounting? Highlighting a database and then looking at the choice of mounting... unmounting has the unmounting selection greyed out.

Also is the unmounting where the archive is removed from the database and the storage media(ig. HD)? If not then how are images removed from HD?

Thank you.

2. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I started with B&R2010FA then purchased HDM2011S.

I was deleting archives using Windows which confused B&R2010FA. I found that even when archives are deleted from Paragon with the delete from HD boxed checked still leaves the folder on the HD with less content and I'd end up with "other" archives being greyed out in my list.

I found out that just deleting the archive "only" from Paragon and then using Windows to delete what it leaves on the HD causes no issues.

Unmounting is making something invisible to the OS not deleting it. I don't use or have B&R2010FA installed anymore. Although I've never used or needing to unmount, I "believe" that HDM2011S uses the term "hide" instead but I may be incorrect as I'm not a power user.

The "unmount" or "mount" terms are common if you've ever created a WinPE disc which I have in the past.

3. bucko8993

Thank you for your input.

As I use my pc less and less the only aggravation is having to reinstall the OS and you probably know that's a pain. I was using Ghost on XP until continual data corruption made me seek an alternative.

All the bells and whistles on Hd manager 2011 ( what's the s for ?) far exceeds my needs. Seems that monthly baks, plus an external HD for the baks may well exceed the time to reinstall an OS, but the pain remains.

It is awfully hard to stay current on technology in this day and time. Use a rotary telephone and a dialup connection?

R

4. wptski

wptski Registered Member

The "S" stands for "Suite". I got new Dell PC, after 22 BSODs in six weeks discovered that I had bad memory stick(s) and the factory installed the OS like that. Never reinstalled the OS, I'm stubborn.

One fix lead to another problem, time after time but each was less critical than the previous one. It probably took around eight months to become trouble free finally!:D Never did a clean install of the OS but did do a repair/install of the OS from a borrowed W7 DVD and used the Dell product key code. I had to reinstall a few apps along the way though!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Further to wptski's experience and your data corruption with Ghost I suggest you check your RAM since a bad RAM location can give data corruption problems. Any BSODs or strange behaviour that isn't readily explained is a reason to consider a possible RAM problem. Fortunately it easy to check RAM and one program is Memtest86+ available free from www.memtest.org . I believe Windows 7 also has a RAM checker. The tests should be allowed to run for at least 1 full pass but letting it run overnight is a far better way to find marginal locations. There should be zero errors.

Regular PCs do not check the validity of RAM data so a bad bit can cause various issues depending on what the data is being used for. This ranges from no effect, no noticeable effect to something strange, Abnormal program termination to BSOD.

Finding causes of problems is often a process of elimination and running a memory check can eliminate or confirm one of the possible causes. A memory diagnostic can find most problems but it does not necessarily find every problem and sometimes the ultimate test is to substitute known good RAM.

6. bucko8993

Thank your for the input. Ram on an old pc(upgraded pc-was new in 05, this spring so could access newer hds, 2gb ram, etc.) checked out good. Can't remember what the problem was(old memory-mine) but I spent a whole lot of time over 2 weeks reinstalling XP pro and cleaning up. No heavy user here. At any have developed paranoia about re installing an OS. Thinking about Win 7.

Maybe I should throwaway my rotary telephone get something fast for the internet connection.

P.S. The thing got my attention was a total of about 252+gb in accumulated archieves/differentials for one partition. Looks like the 1tb external HD won't last long for storage using Paragon. Also the alluding to limiting differential size in the help manual is really annoying, since that operation is not visible in my installation. My original post was an inquirey about the diff. limits - anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.