Differential Backup does not show all available backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rburshell, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburshell

rburshell Registered Member

I do differential backups. My backup directory shows 15 differential backups since the initial complete backup. When I go to restore I get only the first 5 backups shown at available to restore. If I click on the others it gives me the message "The selected file is not an Acronis True Image Home file".

Help please, I need a file newer than the April 10th date it gives me.

I just upgraded to the most recent version 9.0.3677.

TIA

Rusty

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rburshell,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please create Acronis True Image Bootable CD using the latest build (3677) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home? After that boot your computer from this CD and try to validate and restore the image archives.

Please also tell us where did you store the image archive.

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello rburshell,

Have you any particular reason for keeping 15 differential backups on storage instead of adopting the incremental strategy?

Namely, on a system where the amount of data on the imaged drive constantly grows, every differential image will also contain all the changes already recorded in previous differentials leading to a substantial waste of storage space (through recording redundant data) by the time you reach the 15th differential.

If you want to have all the 16 recovery points available, the incremental option is a much better choice. Unless you have some particular setup requiring differentials, of course.

You should also keep in mind that to validate the n-th differential image, all the previous differentials should be available to TI. It's a bug, but as far as I know it hasn't been fixed yet.

4. bottom

bottom Registered Member

> Have you any particular reason for keeping 15 differential backups

i would:
    imagine the first archive after the initial full backup
    to become corrupted for some reason...
    (bad sector, virus, ...)

if i understand the incremental method correct,
    now ONLY the initial full backup could be used,
    everything else would be trash/lost...

bottom

ps
    am i the only one longing for a repair function
    for damaged/corrupted archives ?

5. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Hello bottom,

Yes, that is so.

But then, if the base full image gets corrupt (a greater chance even, more bits being involved) you loose everything, be it incremental or differential strategy.

In my opinion the correct approach is to apply the proper technique for the size of images and the number of restore points required to keep and guard against image loss/corruption by creating or copying some image files to alternate location at adequate times.

My first storage location is always the second internal HD - for fast and never failing imaging and restoring. Selected full images get copied to the external HD and the most important ones to DVDs too. This way I also protect the images from total drive breakdown and power spikes, which are the greatest hazard where I live, surge protectors notwithstanding.

This, in my opinion, is the sensible way to use storage space and time, while the accumulation of differential images is an uncontrolled buildup of useful and superfluous redundancies.

6. seurat01

seurat01 Registered Member

Hi,

Regarding the original poster's question about 15 differential backups - I've just set up several folders for differential backup and I've been wondering why TI creates a new folder for each differential. Why doesn't it just overwrite the differential file? Is that an option (I've looked around but can't find anything on it).

Thanks,

Wayne

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Wayne,

Please be aware that differential backups have to be saved to the same folder where the initial full backup is located. The point is that when you create a new differential backup or schedule a task for the differential backup creation you need to point Acronis True Image to the backup you want the resulting differential to be based on, i.e. the initial full backup. Otherwise, a new full backup will be created.

Please read chapter 5 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide for more information on how to create differential backups.

Please also take a look at my replies in these previous threads: All of the Images, What copy do I build on??.

Please let us know if Acronis True Image still "creates a new folder for each differential". We'll provide you with the further instructions in this case.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.