different questions about Enterprise Server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Helveticus, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helveticus

Helveticus Registered Member

Hello,

I have Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 9.1. And I'm german, so please write in easy english and excuse my bad english.

I have different questions and I hope that you can give me good answers.

1. I will create a bootable CD. Universal Restore will be on the CD. When I have to restore an image on different hardware I need new driver for the new hardware. So I think its the best when I have a driver package or something like that on my NAS (I have stored the images on my NAS).

Is this right?

And is there something like a driver package which contains the most drivers and works with Universal Restore?

2. Is a differential or an incremental better (I will make a full backup on beginning).

I think the different is that each backup of the differential backup is building on the full backup. By the incremental backup each backup is buliding on the last incremental backup. But I don't know if this is true.

3. Is there somewhere an setting which makes that for example after ten incremental or differential backups the backups starts from beginning, so Acronis automatically delets or overwrite the old backups?

4. Is there a setting which makes that Acronis make after some time or some incremental or differential backups a full backup?

5. I have connected with the management console (which is installed on a workstation) to the server. See screenshot:

http://free.pages.at/thegunner/acronis.JPG

On this picture you see "Acronis Backup Server Managemenet". But I didn't have installed Backup Server on my server.

Why there is this thing? When I pull on it there appears an error.

I thank you for your answers.

Greetz,

Helveticus

2. Helveticus

pleaz help.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Helveticus,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore searches the Windows default driver storage folders (in the image being restored) for HAL and mass storage device drivers and installs drivers that better fit the target hardware. You can also specify a custom driver repository (a folder or folders on a network drive or CD) which will also be used for drivers search.

Note that drivers are usually supplied with the computer/device, or can be downloaded from the manufacturer's website.

Yes, you are right. You could also have a look at this article, which describes the difference between incremental and differential image archives. Also this FAQ article in German can be useful.

Please note that this can be achieved using Acronis Backup Server. Please check the appropriate chapter in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server User's Guide to find more information and instructions on how to use Acronis Backup Server.

Please note that most probably Acronis Backup Server was installed on the server. If it is not, then please create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post on the server in question. In addition, please clarify what is the exact error message you have received. Please create a screen shot, if possible.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. Helveticus

Thank you for your very good answers.

What is HAL?

Yes, this is the usual way. But when my hardware crash and I have to restore quickly a backup I don't have time to search the drivers on the manufacturer's website. So it will be better to have an folder on my NAS with a driver compilation.

Is there a good driver package which works with Universal Restore? Note that the drivers should be in german.

But the problem is that I save my images on a NAS (Synology Diskstation DS-106e). On this NAS I can't install Backup Server.

So, I can't use Backup Server?

Thank you for your answers.

5. Helveticus

Push for help.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Helveticus,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

I'm sorry for not being clear enough in my explanation.

HAL is Microsoft's abbreviation for the Hardware Abstraction Layer, the technology and drivers that let the Windows NT, 2000, and XP operating systems communicate with your PC's hardware. Please have a look at this article to find more information.

Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers must be identical on the source and the target computers.

If Acronis Universal Restore finds no HAL or mass storage devices drivers compatible with the new hardware in all available sources, you will be prompted to browse network share drive, floppy disk or CD to select missing drivers.

In this case I would recommend that you obtain the respective drivers in advance and store them on your NAS, for example. Then upon restoration you will be able to point Acronis Universal Restore to the folder, which contains drivers (*.inf and *.sys).

Please note that you do not need to install Acronis Backup Server on NAS to obtain the functionality of automatically managed storage area. Acronis Backup Server can be installed on another computer and then you can organize a backup locations on a NAS and set the overall limitations to size/storage time for the location. Please check chapter 4.5 "Managing backup server" to find the instructions on how to create backup location.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.