Different environment, same security software?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ohmy, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ohmy

Ohmy Guest

Hi all,

I'm living in South Korea, and I have some questions.

I heard that each country are exposed to different kind of threats.

(threats that exists only in a specific country.)

And I also heard that each AV, AS etc doesn't cover them all.

For example, If I only surf on Korean web, and get a unknown threat,

is scanning with SuperAntiSpyware not efficient?

What we know in where I live is using their own country's product provides the best security.

And I really hope it's wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

The threats are not geografically setted or disposed. And the Web spreads them in a very few time. The thing to do to have a good security is to set a multi-layered defense: firewall HD, firewall sw well configured, av obviously, restricted policies for the browser, an HIPS, scan at least on demand with antispyware and antitrojan, program to browse in internet in virtualised mode.. :)

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Generally, it's a global thing, but the country one lives in (and perhaps also the ISP) has some impact on your security situation.

For example, malware can be tailored to a specific country/language/bank.

The idea that it doesn't matter where one lives because it's a global thing now is true as a rule, but it gives an incomplete picture.

4. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Not really. Using your own country's product doesn't mean being more protected. Each product collects information about global threats. And By the way it would be rather stupid not to use a good antivirus software to use a not good antivirus which may be from your country.

Generally the best setup would be using a Security suite, with good Malware, Spyware, Rootkit detection and removal and with a good firewall. Then you could use an on-demand anti spyware like SUPERAnti Spywares. This approach is the best, wherever you live, even if you live in a country where hacking attacks happen very often, having a good firewall will protect you.

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Some threats may be language specific but that shouldnt stop a good av picking up the malware.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Nevertheless, sometimes it happens, I've seen it myself. A certain well-known threat may have a different signature depending on the specific bank/language. Does McAfee or TrendMicro have the signatures of all Chinese, Spanish, or Danish banking malware ?

7. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

The underlying code is in English, so even if the language used is different I don't think it matters that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.