Differences between TI 9 and 10

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by etroy, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etroy

etroy Registered Member

I purchased TI 9 a few months ago. I am now thinking of purchasing TI 10, but I am not clear about the real differences. Are there any really major differences? My only real interest is in being able to recover from a hard drive failure, due to either mechanical problems or virus attacks. I run windows 2000 on a dual core, dual processor AMD Opteron computer with 2 scsi drives. I have other windows 2000 computers, but they are not really critical, as far as backup is concerned. I also run a Linux machine, but it is ancient and only an 800 MHZ Pentium III. The perfect solution would be a system that would backup everything each night, either to separate drives or perhaps a common drive on one computer (like the Linux box), but I suspect that either does not exist or would be prohibitively expensive for an individual.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I'll let a TI10 user tell you about the benefits of it, I use TI9 but my guess is that you have the functionality you need right now.

TI can store its archives on a HD on another machine over a network. You can do it manually or or you can schedule a task to do it. You can create a full archive or an incremental or differential. You do need 1 TI license per machine you are backing up.

If you go this route, be sure you can recover your archives from the machine they are stored on via the network. Another option is to split the archives so they fit on a DVD and be able to burn them to a DVD to bring them to the broken machine if necessary.

It will not be blindingly fast over a 100 Mbps network.

3. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Comparing the TI 9 and TI 10 user guides, I do not see sufficient change to justify upgrading to TI 10 on a CURRENT system that already has TI 9, if TI 9 is working properly/adequately. On my system, TI 9 does not work properly, but I seem to be able to get around the problems, so I guess TI 9 is "adequate", tho runs much slower than Ghost 10.

For a NEW system, if you are can live with TI 9, then use either TI 9 or TI 10 on the NEW system. TI 9 is still being sold. But, it is hoped that TI 10 will have fixed bugs thgat remain in TI 9, of course, TI 10 might introduce new bugs.

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It depends on whether you can find value in any of the new features. The Managed Directories, with automatically enforced limits and autonaming is something I and others appreciate.

It's not like there'sb nothing new in 10. Somewon't find value in the new stuff and no upgrade of any software is essential (well, unless you're running Windows 95) ;-)

sh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.