Differences between B&R when used direct from HDD and Bootable Recovery Media (CD)

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by jackmcguire99, Feb 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackmcguire99

jackmcguire99 Registered Member

I've been experimenting with Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition 10.0 and have some questions

When used from an install on your hard disk drive
    • backup image is set to be split at 4000MB - I can't test whether this can be disabled to force a single file disk image as my test system is just a small XP one of about 3GB o_O
    • you can backup more than one thing at a time, eg C: partition and the MBR :D

When used from bootable recovery media (CD)
    • disabling the split option (which defaults to 2000MB) has no effect and the backup is always written as a number of files of under 2000MB in size:'(
    • you can only backup one thing at a time so to backup C: and the MBR will require two operations:'(

Is it possible I'm doing something wrong and that it is still possible to use the recovery media CD to make a single file image backup?
    Is there any benefit to have multiple file image backups? Or a single file backup?

Your help will be much appreciated.

2. Atronach

Atronach Registered Member

As I understand the only benefit of image splitting is the possibility to backup on FAT or FAT32 formatted drives. These file systems are old thus cannot handle files larger than 4gb. More likely IMHO it makes you backup or restore process even slower because of splitting or merging the image (not tested by myself yet). If you still feel limited using Paragon recovery media I recommend you to use Paragon Backup and Recovery integrated into the WinPE or BartPE - it's more powerful that way.

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

The standard recovery disk (Linux) cannot split images. We find out this is because of a Linux kernel limitation. WinPE and BartPE, however, can both split.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.