Differences Between Avast Sandbox and Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

Hi guys. I noticed that Avast has a sandbox in its paid security products. How doe the Sandboxie and Avast sandboxes compare? Is one more secure? I know Sandboxie is great, but I am wondering there are more secure alternatives. Thanks for all of your opinions.
    ad18

2. waters

waters Registered Member

When Sandboxie is emptied all history is gone.With Avast sandbox history remains after the sandbox is emptied ,if save trusted files is selected.There are check boxes for save bookmarks and history but in Chrome these do not work.
    Avast sandbox is better with Firefox but cookies are still saved regardless.
    Sandboxie just works and can be set to be more secure

3. ad18

ad18 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. That is strange that the Avast Sandbox saves your history.

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

In Firefox, using Sandboxie, if you set bookmarks to be saved while running sandboxed, History is also saved since Firefox saves both in the same file. What I do in order for history not to be saved is set Firefox to "Never remember History". You can do that in Firefox>Tools>Options>Privacy.

Bo

5. waters

waters Registered Member

Ccleaner never picked up browsing history for me when i emptied Sandboxie

6. bo elam

CCleaner doesnt pick up anything here neither but that doesn't mean history is not been saved. Test it and see for yourself. Set Firefox to remember history and at the bottom, set the Location bar to suggest "History and bookmarks".

Run your browser sandboxed, open a few sites, use Google search and search for a few things, close the browser deleting the sandbox. Open your browser again and type a letter in the address bar and you ll see suggestions based in history.

History and bookmarks are saved in the same file, places.sqlite. So, if you want to keep bookmarks in Firefox but not history, set Firefox not to remember history.

Bo

7. waters

waters Registered Member

Thats the difference,empty Avast sandbox and CCleaner shows all history cookies etc .this is with Chrome and Firefox.Different check boxes can be selected to keep bookmarks and others but with Chrome none make any difference.Sandboxie does what it says it does.Thats all its been made for ,it does one thing and does it well.Avast is a great antivirus but does a number of things

8. bo elam

Very true. Firefox used to save bookmarks and history separate, then you didn't have to do anything about history since allowing bookmarks to be saved while sandboxed did not include saving history. Now, we just have to do the little trick in Firefox settings so history don't get saved along bookmarks.:)

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.