Difference Symantec and Norton Products?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I tried both, while in theory, They should be exactly the same, when testing, I notice Symantec is slower, More resource hungry, and feels like a Pre Norton 2009 Product to me.

Does anyone know the Detail Difference between both Product apart from Symantec has a better more professional Interface.
    Does Syamntec have SONAR 2 in it?

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Isn't Symantec for large enterprises, while Norton is for homes?

3. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

You are totally wrong . They are different .
    The same is the virus lab and the company . However , they are made and supported by different departments and different people.

More or less...

Symantec Endpoint Protection is strictly business product while Norton is for home users and could also be used in small offices.

Norton is more advanced product because it is redesigned , faster and lighter + it includes innovative technologies such as SONAR , Insight , Insight Network (the cloud) , anti-spam , SafetyMinder , SafeWeb , etc .

More about Symantec Endpoint protection:
    http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/fact_sheets/b-endpoint_protection_ds_12836807.en-us.pdf

More about Norton :
    www.symantec.com/norton

Practically speaking - Norton is better at detection , removal and protection

4. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I know they are for business and home, and supported differently. I was pointing at the software itself. Not the services or company backend.

But thanks for the Info, i never knew Symantec Endpoint Engine is different to Norton Engine. And It amaze me Consumers gets the best protection for smaller amount of money.

5. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Oops I thought Symentec products are renamed as norton.

6. icr

icr Registered Member

Symantec doesn't include any sonar technology. They have Symantec TruScan and Proactive ThreatScan for tackling zero days
    Info:)

Some more info regarding symantec and norton products:)

7. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Symantec TruScan and Proactive ThreatScan are less sensitive as compared to SONAR 2. IMO SONAR 2 is better then TruScan and Proactive ThreatScan.

8. icr

icr Registered Member

Have you tried symantec products:)

9. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

YEP i have tested and used SEP 11.0.5 & SEP 12 :) ...It uses very less system resources...Detection rate is quite good. :) As far as TruScan and Proactive ThreatScan is concerned, i am not very much impressed by it !!

10. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

I have tested the client version of Symantec Endpoint Protection [version 11.0.5002 a.k.a RU5] and I found it was very light [running on Windows XP Pro SP-3 and Windows Vista SP-2]. Although, I find that when comparing it to Norton products [2009 onwards] it's a little bit outdated. Symantec has released 6 maintenance packs for this business software but mainly to fix bugs found along the way and not to add new features or backport features from Norton products to it.

This means that SONAR, and other Norton features are not included in Symantec corporate products. Besides, when Symantec Endpoint was first released was back in September 2007 whereas newest versions of Norton products [with new features included since version 2009] were released in the last quarter of 2008.

If I was a home user and had to choose between the corporate versions of Symantec and the ones geared toward the home users [Norton] I'd definitely go for the latter. The corporate products are not worth the hassle and are much more difficult to remove from your PC than the consumer ones.

Hope this helps.

Carlos

11. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I dont know how you define light, Symantec is consider light in the cooperate world when comparing to others like Macfee Enterprise, It is also light in the Pre 2009 Era. But when i am comparing to Norton 2009, 2010, and even 2011 beta. Symantec is definitely much heavier in CPU usage, Memory Usage, I/O usage.

12. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

SONAR2 and now SONAR3 catches pretty much every malware . Symantec EP's Tru Scan Proactive scan has caught me just one file for me and it was a false positive which Symantec Security Response fixed later.

However , it should be considered that by default SONAR and TruScan work differently.

13. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

I find it very light comparing to what we have used in the past. The only problem is a bit slower boot (initial computer start-up). But considering the fact I reboot workstations once - twice per week , this is not a problem at all.

The money are not that more . Business also pay for better support (included in price for SEP) , which guarantees them faster reaction.

Norton is better in protection because end-users usually run like Administrators and are considered risky users.
    Business users Symantec Corporation aims at are not considered risky users and are supposed to have educated sysadmins which strictly keep and eye on the users

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.