Difference Between Smart Security & Anti-virus

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mbreslin, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbreslin

mbreslin Registered Member

I'm a current user of nod32 anti-virus, getting ready to renew, and am considering upgrading to the Smart Security product instead. kCan anyone tell me if there is any difference between Smart Security and Anti-virus, other than the firewall and anti-spam? Since I access e-mail via web browsers (gmail.com), I don't see any benefit to the anti-spam feature. Also, since I have a hardware router w/ firewall, I don't see much benefit to the firewall product. I was hoping the Smart Security product would provide adware/spyware features, like my current Webroot Spysweeper, but I can't find any mention of that capability on the web site.

I'm willing to be sold on Smart Security if someone is willing.

Mike

2. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Hmm, Pretty mutch Yeah its only the firewall and Anti-Spam you get in the Smart Security.

I havent used the anti-spam but i have tested the firewall. it seems very basic, and fails most leak test's The inbound is medeocure at best.

My Recomendation, keep the anti-virus and dont buy the smart security, the benefits dont realy make up for the cost, and If you wanted a good software firewall just download comodo ;/

PS: welcome to the forum.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Hi, as it has been said too many times, opinions vary and thus you will have people pleased (or not) at many levels with ESS. I myself find it a very good peace of software.
    I run it on vista, and I think it is a very secure, very light program. I don't really care about leaktests so I don't share the opinions of those who think leaktesting a firewall is important, and as such I believe that the firewall provided by ESS is simple, configurable and to what I understand secure to use in most enviroments. (I usually plug ny notebook to whatever wifi I can find and I have not had any issues with the firewall).
    To answer one of your questions, it does have antispyware capabilities because those are part of the antivirus and EAV is a component of ESS, so I would say you are secure in that area.
    If you want an advise from a current user of the sftw. buy it, you won't regret it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.