Difference between Private Firewall and Webroot Desktop Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JohnnyDollar, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Webroot's desktop firewall is powered by privacyware the same maker of private firewall. Webroot's firewall is free and private firewall is not. Is there any difference between the two? I know private firewall scored higher than webroot on matousec, but that could just be the difference in the way the settings in each program are set up by default. Webroot's installs with the process monitor turned off by default. Is private firewall's turned on by default? Is that the only difference. The screenshots for both programs look nearly identical except for the colors and logos.

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

hello,

I have not compared drivers or made full comparison tests/checks, but from the options/layout they do appear to be the same.

Although I have little interest in leak tests, I would agree that if the Webroot "Process monitor" was set to full, then the score should be more comparable with Private firewall.

- Stem

3. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Thanks for the reply. I am not a big leak test rah rah guy myself (so to speak). I had installed WDF on my mother's xp x86 pc, and it seems to do it's job very well. I run vista x64 on mine, and was considering installing it since WDF is x64 compatible now. I was shopping around for firewalls and visited the privacyware website, along with a lot of other firewall websites and noticed the similarities between the two. I was just wanting to get a little feedback on the subject. Nothing against privacyware, but I couldn't justify paying for a firewall when I could get the same thing for free.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Just an FYI- You might want to check back with Privacyware later on then as there were some reports they might be making their firewall freeware in the near future.

5. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

Thank you. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.