Difference between "normal scan and"

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 v3 Beta Forum' started by martindijk, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me the difference between a "normal on demand scan" and a "indepth analysis scan". o_O

I notice no difference at all, looks like a normal scan to me.

Any remarks??

Thanks in advance,

rgds,
    Martin

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Looks like a normal scan to me too. Maybe they are going to add more functionality to this button.

3. martindijk

martindijk Registered Member

We'll just wait and see.

For the rest of the Beta, i have been running Nod's beta for a couple of hours now and so far no bugs, everything is running smoothly, no conflicts.

So far so good,

rgds,
    Martin

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In-depth scan triggers nod32.exe with all available options turned on (incl. scanning all files)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thanks Marcos.

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

But doesn't everyone set NOD32 that way anyhow?

It has been irritating since I got NOD32 almost two years ago to every time I install it or reinstall, I have to go check all the options that should be checked by default. I'm getting very tired of that what with about 5 re-installs yesterday of of NOD32 on my W98SE box.

I agree with Rodzilla that everything should be set to maximum by default and then the user can water down if they want to. Not the other way around as it is currently. I never saw any slow down on that old W98SE box by setting everything to maximum and with new fast boxes it is absurd the way Eset has the defaults set. I get tired also of instructing new users who post over at dslr and complain that NOD didn't scan hardly anything. They are so surprised to find that "scan all files" is not default.

7. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Why bother to check all options now when you can just click the "In-depth analysis" button which runs it the same way?

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

LOL - Good point! Habit I suppose is why I persisted in checking everything. :)

What I would like to know is what is the "control center" profile? That is new. There is no way to use it though and use context menu and My Profile. What is the difference between control center profile and My Profile?

9. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Maybe that is the profile for "In Depth Analysis", against User Profile, that being what you choose to tick.

Will have to wait for a Eset Mod to shed some light on the subject...

Cheers :D

10. sard

sard Registered Member

Anybody know the answer yet?

11. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

12. swoop

swoop Registered Member

Yo guys!

First you need to look at the rules of "the bible." As stated in the VirusBulletine agreement for testing, the antivirus must provide 100% detction with default(!) setting after installation. Well, NOD32 does.

If you wanna be protected more (more than 100%?) and make use of the deep or advanced heuristics feel free to do it. That wil give you higher probability of detecting unknown malicious code. However, it increases the possibility of false alarms (not false positives :cool:) and makes the scanning to take longer.

Anyway, I have them all turned on, but I do the in-depth analysis (scan all files) only after I allow some friends to browse/work on my computer.

What do you say Marcos and Jan? Is it enough "by the book?" :D

SWooP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.