Did my antivrus do this?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kenn316, May 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenn316

kenn316 Registered Member

Hey guys I didn't know exactly where to post this at but decided here is the best place. I was at my sisters and her Vista powered laptop was running really slow. After finding out she had no antivirus or any other protection on it I decided I would put something on there. I tried to put avast on there but the connection would timeout while downloading. So I installed Avira instead. I have never used it but read reviews of it.

After it installs it does this "topical scan". While that was going I downloaded and installed PC TOOLS Firewall Plus(stupid to not restart in between I know). I went and rebooted it after that and the computer would get to the vista screen then it would turn off. It did that about 5 times. At this point I thought PC TOOLS and Avira together caused it to crash. After I got a BSOD I then go and boot into ubuntu on a livecd and it comes up with an error and i try it again. It says the temperature was 130c and the computer was saving itself by shutting down. It has always ran hot and the fan would go like crazy. I got away from it for a little bit I come back and turn it on one last time.

It boots up to windows fully. Isn't hot and the fan doesn't sound like its running. I figured it had cooled down long enough that it was waiting to get back up to the temp and shutdown.. I decided to turn it off and leave it alone and get back to it the next day. So today I run the avira scan and find 5 different things. I get rid of them and have just been letting it run all day. It doesn't sound like the fan is running but the computer hasn't gotten hot at all. I am not used to it being so quiet so that maybe why it sounds like its not running.

So here are a few questions

1. Could a virus cause the computer to run hot and the fan be real loud?

2. Did Avira have anything to do with fixing it?

I didn't see anything in that initial scan that last about about 10 seconds nor is anything logged at that time. Thanks for reading if you made it all this way lol

Kenn

2. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

Any program that eats ton of resources can cause your CPU to work extra hard and run hot... and if you have one of those fans that adjusts its own speed based upon the heat of the motherboard or CPU... then yes, it would then start sounding real loud...

Could have been a virus or runaway process... who knows... but good thing you are back to normal... heat for too long can lower the life expectancy of your CPU... even fry it if you aren't careful...

Regards -
    -Bob

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Doesn,t seem a virus issue at all to me but you need to know who caused BSODs, Avira or PC Tools FW, and then the software which caused BSODs should go away from your system at the moment.

4. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

Hi

I'd ignore the heat thing at the moment, it could just be a reporting issue from Linux?

Assume that the computer was/is infected. Disconnect from the Internet remove Avira & PC Tools, turn off Defender & UAC then reboot. Reconnect to the Internet download MBAM, update the database & run a full scan. I'd expect MBAM to find a few problems.

Then install some good security. Suggest Nod/Prevx.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

why would you advice the op to turn off defender and uac?
    no offence im just wondering why it seems strange advice.

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm with lodore in being curious as to this advice.
    Why uninstall the AV at all, unless it is causing a problem?
    Avira and MBAM should run OK together. (Don't scan together, though.)

Ready to be proved/told I'm wrong, of course.

7. kenn316

its ok until you turn it off then try to turn it back on I get the same problems. Now there is nothing I can do. I put in my XP cd not to really install it or anything but it got to a certain point and the computer shut down to. Its definately a hardware problem. Maybe it was just timing and the fan decided it wasn't going to come back on during the reboot after installing? I just don't understand how it could run for over 24 hours if the fan was shot. It never got the least bit hot.

EDIT: This is my second edit. I can run off the Ubuntu live cd but if I shut the computer off and turn it back on it just eventually shuts off before loading anything. So it is hardware related. Thanks for your help guys

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  8. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

I feel your pain... good luck getting it straightened out...

Regards -
    -Bob

9. kenn316

Thank you. Never had these problems on my 11 year old desktop KNOCKS ON WOOD lol. I know she is gonna reach the end of her life but she has been good thru the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.