Did Avira do this ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fly, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Currently I'm testing Eset Smart Security version 6.

While not ideal, as a matter of convenience I installed this software on a known clean (??) image that contained just the Windows XP OS, drivers, a few basic safe programs and a previous installation of the Avira security suite (trial or promotional) which I uninstalled.

After a 'smart scan' I noticed the following infections: ApnIC[1].0 Win32Bundled.Toolbar.Ask (potentially unsafe application) and Dc21.dll/same description. Avira used to detect the ASK software until (??) they started to include ASK software themselves.

Since I was surprised I repeated the same process using the same old image.
    Same results.

While it is not impossible that I was infected through other means, I can't think of any way that would have happened. I know for a fact that I scanned that old image with Avira and it never found any ASK stuff !
    People here on Wilders used to discuss files associated with ASK which Avira put on their computer. As far as I recall, I never could find any of those files.

So, what do you think ? Did Avira put those files on my computer ?

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Avira comes bundled with Ask Toolbar now.

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'd say yes, but it's up to you to label it as an "infection", since as you can see it's rated just as a PUA by your current solution.

4. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I would be curious to know the location (Program Files/Avira?) of this detection and whether or not there is an entry in programs and features or add/remove programs and what the name of the entry is.

ask.com or avira SearchFree toolbar?

Without installing avira I don't know what the exact name would be.

I would also use avira's uninstall utility to see if it would help clean up any avira leftovers.

-http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-removal-tool/product/-

5. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

was it avira free you were using??

6. er34

er34 Guest

Fly, are you asleep? Where were you this period?

AVIRA comes bundled with Ask is such an old story that has been discussed all over the web so many times for so long - including in many threads here @ Wilderssecurity in this subforum.

Note the name ESET gives -> potentially unsafe application -> not virus, not trojan, not spyware or malware.

7. ght1

ght1 Guest

Well said, I don't recommend Avira Free any more. ;)

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I used the Avira security suite, either a promo or trial version.

As I recall there was an option to install the ASK toolbar, but I declined.

Since I uninstalled Avira without using an uninstall tool and deleted temporary files, perhaps I'm just a bit too paranoid/ Eset is a bit too vigilant ?
    Still, it's odd.

Location according to the scan log: C:\Documents and Settings\....\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\...\ApnIC[1].0

and

C:\RECYCLERS\....\Dc21.dll

Thoughts ?

9. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The issue was with Avira free ? Even so, I may have seen an ASK opt-in, but I did opt out. Or so I believed.

10. er34

er34 Guest

The issues is with any AVIRA product.

As per the other information you provided:

The first one is in the Internet temporary files - most likely some uninstaller left its stuff there (you need to clear more often your browser cache) and the second one is something that you deleted - it is in the recycle bin.

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

What nonsense.

Avira does not push the toolbar on you.It comes with the toolbar installer,so its entirely up to you as to whether you install it or not.

Its a clear choice,but it certainly does not install the toolbar when avira is being installed.:)

12. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Those files are definitely left by Avira, no it doesn't install the toolbar but it adds 3 ask files in the avira folder.

13. The Red Moon

Cant the ask files be simply deleted.o_O

14. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

If you delete then whilst Avira is still installed it simply re-downloads them. They can be deleted if Avira is uninstalled yes.

15. The Red Moon

I see.

Thanks.:)

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

What you say is true if you choose custom install.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.