Did Avast kind of, shoot themselves in the foot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Mar 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

You're right in that it doesn't have a HIPS component to it (therefore the poor Matousec showing).
    I disagree with the negative things to say about aIS though, I tried it out and liked it a lot.
    I did have a minor issue with the FW -- if you're not around to answer the prompt (in Interactive mode, obviously) then it'll throw up prompt after prompt.
    Imagine that was fixed in the latest update though.

2. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Well, generally you'll only hear 'negative things' from those with negative experiences and nothing from the others. :D

I've had 3 XP SP3 PCs running AIS since February. There've been a couple of glitches, now fixed. There are probably a few more yet to be resolved.

The difference between Comodo and avast?

avast! 5 AV is an effective and "user-friendly" first line of defense, now augmented by a sandbox and firewall which are still being improved and refined.

Comodo CIS is a useful and effective firewall and HIPS in search of a "user-friendly" first line of defense.

Also, bug-fix + Comodo = anathema

3. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

If you're gonna pick a hole in Comodo's armor, pick anything but the firewall. Bad argument.

4. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

I don't personally have an opinion on AIS, I've never used it. I have heard many disappointed users, that's what I based that on. I like the Avast AV alright, I just wouldn't trust their FW.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Running two free editions and one AIS in my home network and they all work superbly.

Btw, avast! shooting themself in a foot? It looks more like they were shooting at AVG's and AVIRA's foot... and they even nailed few hits.

6. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

They sure did. I was a big fan of the free version of Avira for about 4 years. Got tired of the update issues though. AVG is another story altogether - slow, bloated and inaccurate. avast! 5 rocks.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I also got tired of the Avira update issues in the free version. I'm on Avast now on both my home machines, and loving it. Excellent piece of software.

8. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Very true..........this only increased Avast's rep, no harm in that.

9. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

if you check download.com Avast is gaining quickly on AVG on the most downloaded free AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.