DiamondCS Virus Trap

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by iceni60, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just found this "DiamondCS Virus Trap" on a site, but couldnt find it on your site, or mentioned here. do you have a link for it? thanks :)

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Are you talking about this product from 1999 ?

Security software provided by Diamond Computer Systems Pty. Ltd.
    Virus Trap 1.0.0 » Last Time Updated on 12/22/1999
    Virus Trap 1.0.0
    A unique approach to virus detection, this freeware program won't scan for viruses, but will rather create baited test executable and command files, and then execute them.

Security Software Description:
    Should a virus be resident in your system, the test .exe and/or .com file should become infected with the virus. The Virus Trap will never be able to tell you what virus it has trapped, but it will alert you if either the file size, date, or checksum values have changed. You would then have a perfect sample of the virus to submit to an anti-virus company for analysis.
    License Type: Freeware
    Platform: Win 95/98/NT

I do not think you will find that it exists anymore.

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

It is build in TDS-3.

Quotes from the Help-file:
    File Infection Test (Anti-Virus)

This test creates a virgin .exe and .com file, each weighing in at approximately 15 kilobytes each. These files are then executed.

Should a .com or .exe infecting virus be alive in your system, the files should become infected. The Infection test will report back the results - whether the file remained the same, or if it's modification date has changed, or if it's size has changed, or if it's internal contents have changed (via checksum calculations). This test should trap the majority of .exe/.com-infecting viruses.

On a positive infection scan these files and the rest of your system with an updated virus scanner. If none can recognize the virus it is a new virus or variant and can then be submitted to antivirus vendors for analysis.

- end quotes -

In TDS-3:
    System Testing > File Infection Test (Anti-Virus)

From my TDS-3:
    [Infection Test] File infection test started. Please wait a moment while baits are deployed and tested.
    [Infection Test] EXE infection testing started ...
    [Infection Test] Test .exe file remained untouched.
    [Infection Test] COM infection testing started ...
    [Infection Test] Test .com file remained untouched.

I hope this helps ;)
    Warm regards, Jan.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Primrose. thats it. no wonder i couldnt find anything about it. but, i do have a link for it... i wont post it incase DiamondCS dont want it to be used anymore as its old.
    DiamondCS if you want the link i'll post it. i hope ive done the right thing, by not posting it o_O

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hello, Jan. thanks for your post, it does clear things up, maybe its not obsolete after all. thank you :)

6. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

I have links for it also.as well as some still out there for Gladiator Antivirus and a few site for some of the other old products out there where that dog will just not hunt. :D Some are there where an agressive free download site put a copy of the app on there server to download without the permission of the Author..in other cases they had permission.

My rule of thumb..if you can not find the product as a direct download link from the authors site,(sometimes if it is a blind link you can right click on it and go to properties and see the ULR where it will be coming from to you)Then Start asking around forums you trust..just like you did here. Many reasons why it still could be legit, yet one of the best reasons to do that is obvious..to many of those "download here free sites" add extra content to the application and you really want to make sure the darn thing has its own uninstaller no matter who makes it and it is a clean uninstall.

Can give you other reasons for all that..but those are the general rules of thumb.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, Primrose. i do do alot of downloading, but only from sites that i trust so, so far, all has been well. however, thanks for the - right-click >properties tip, for the URLs, i'll remember that for the future. thanks you :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.