Dial-up w\ 2k question.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ThunderZ, Feb 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Has been a long time since I used dial-up. Right now feeling dumber then a box of rocks. :p Have a Friend who`s PC we will assume for now is free of malware. The problem is, it is dialing out on its` own. I remember a setting somewhere that should\will stop this behavior. :rolleyes: Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've never used W2K but the only setting that comes to mind is Internet Explorer, Internet options, connections, never dial a connection.

3. ThunderZ

I do believe you win the prize. :D Thanks Ronjor. That should do the trick, I believe that is pretty standard since Win 98.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

This may help a little, as a stop gap measure, not storing the log on password might help some. I think you are right, there is a way to set it, but I can't remember it either!

-HandsOff

5. ThunderZ

Thanks HandsOff. My friend states he does not store the PW. However, if it were a malicious dialer then I do not think it would matter since it would not be dialing the ISP number. Not sure about that though as I never have had to deal with one. I never did ask if it actually ever connected since he will hear his modem initiate and go kill the connection before it completes.

6. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Yes, if malware it could be dialing the infamous 1-900 numbers and so on, you are correct!

7. ThunderZ

He totally panicked :eek: when I explained to him about dialers. Managed to calm him down a bit I think. I had just done a fresh install of 2k. AVG free\ early vers. of ZA free and Cyberhawk on it. Unless he did something really "wrong" I am betting it is just the setting that Ronjor pointed to at that he`s clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.