Dial Up vs Broadband

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Peto, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peto

Peto Registered Member

My question is hardware rather than software related. But it is still a security issue.

Does anyone have any technical or other input as to the relative security of either dial up or broad band internet connections? Also hard-line verses sattelite connections? Assuming, of course all other security software issues are equal.

Any input will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. Peto

Peto Registered Member

I am asking this question because as a longtime dial-up user, I am now considering going to a sattelite system for my very rural location.

Dial-up is usually provided by a local small-scale ISP. Whereas sattelite systems (and cable systems) (DSL?) usually involve a larger corporate entity acting as the ISP. Your internet activity is routed, I assume, through a more centralized control point.

Is this routing structure by its very nature less secure? Does this more centralized system give "Big Brother" an easier look-see?

My question is obviously part political; and as a US citizen, I am now less than trusting with my current government.

But my technical knowledge is fuzzy in this area; and I am hoping for technical observations.

Thanks in advance for you input. :)

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I had dial up years ago and will never return to that.
    dsl now and very happy with it. I did check on satillite but found that to be between dial up and dsl as far as speed go's.
    But being inn a remote loc a dish my be the way to go for yourself.
    As far as being always on with DSL, myself whenever i'm not doing something on the pc I use the quick disconect within my hardware firewall with is Alpha Shield. That feature is just like pulling the plug on your DSL but with a little more convinance.
    I can do it manually or automaticly. Theres a link in my sig if your interested.
    Prices very so shop around.
    I'm sure there are other options but this works for me so if your worried about always being online check it out but make sure you are well protected in all area's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.