Dial up service that uses very little memory?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by main, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. main

main Guest

Cancelled People PC today and I am searching for something a little lighter. Something with unlimited access that won't cut off after 3 hours is good but if their are none that stay on then I won't mind.

Please drop some good services that have a light footprint that won't slow down a 256mb system.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you should drop the dialup and get something that is fast and relatively inexpensive You might want to check this out. I have several friends that have this and it works really well. DSL

3. main

main Guest

I stay with a friend right now and I am moving pretty soon, however with dsl can you take it with you to different locations or do you have to stay in one place?

4. bigc73542

You have to have it on one phone number, maybe you can get it where you are moving to.

5. main

main Guest

Cool, can you have dsl on multiple computers?

Thanks for all your help

6. Why not use the Windows DUN? It works great on my computer and uses little system resources. Also i wouldn't recommend you use any ISP that doesn't allow the use of DUN. Usually the so-called dialup software that many ISPs provide will limit you and use up system resources. Plus much dialup software can be used to spy on you and the sites you go to by your ISP.

There are some good low cost ISPs available if your looking for one. Here's a good site to check for a few http://www.freedomlist.com

Peoplepc is not an ISP i would recommend to anyone and they don't allow the use of DUN. Also Netzero/Juno don't allow the use of DUN and use dialup software that will spy on you, read their TOS.

I like http://www.access4less.net a good low cost ISP, in USA (costs $5.95 a month) that i feel is as good as AOL and others. The only restriction i have found is they will only allow you to stay online up to five hours at a time, then you will be disconnected, but you can just redial up again and go another five. But again don't use their dialer software it will cause ten minute timeouts and other problems. Using the DUN is the best way to go. Why pay almost $25. a month for AOHELL when you can have nearly the same service for almost a fifth of the price? If you don't need all the AOL extras.

http://www.copper.net is another good low cost ISP that i tried and like and you can use DUN too. It's a few bucks more than A4L, but is not quite as good as A4L IMO.

But you may want to check that site i listed eariler freedomlist.com for other low cost to mid-priced ISPs and other good deals. That's where i found a lot of great info about ISPs prices, ISP info and user comments of each ISP. I think you'll find it helpful. Good Luck.

7. bigc73542

You can have a second computer on DSL through a hard wired router or a wireless router. I use the latter to connect my granddaughters computer wireless about 120 feet from this one. You can get a router pretty inexpensivly. And you also get the added plus of a hardware firewall in the router. You would have to speak to Yahoo DSL support for what you have to do on their service to run a router. On almost all internet providers their is almost no restrictions on useing a router, actually most IP's will give you advice through support on the installitation of routers.

bigc

8. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

9. main

main Guest

Thanks,

can you explain to me how I can set up the Windows DUN?

10. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Don't think you can get broadband for $6/month. Go with Access4less. Unlimited use for $5.95/month. No prepayment. You will be disconnect after 5 hours but you could always redial.

Use Dial Up Networking instead of the dialup software. There's detailed instruction for setting up a DUN connection at the Access4less website. Continuous throughput speed for me is around 46 to 49Kbps. If you move to a new city, simply lookup a new Access4less dial up number at the A4L website and enter this number in your DUN account.

11. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.