Device Manager Snap-in

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Derek G, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek G

Derek G Registered Member

I have searched the threads for PG and can not find a previous post regarding this issues with driver installation. When using the standard WinXP Device Manager to upgrade and install new drivers, c:\windows\system32\mmc.exe is prevented by PG from installing a driver/service. I accept I can grant "Allow Driver/Services Install" to this program to get the drivers to install correctly, but is permanent permission to mmc.exe the best way to think on this issue. I believe that mmc.exe requests up-to-date driver details from Microsoft's WindowsUpdate site as there is a firewall log entry to confirm this, but although mmc.exe will continue without firewall permission, it appears not to install any drivers properly without PG's permission.

I feel uncomfortable about mmc.exe having permanent permission to install drivers. On the other hand, that's one of its jobs in life, but could a trojan abuse this permission? Disabling PG for the duration of installing drivers seems a bit of an overkill, but temporarily granting "Allow Driver/Services Install" and removing it again is fairly time consuming. PG did not give me any visual warning that it was denying a driver to install correctly - other than the log entry. It actually took me over an hour to realise why I was still getting the yellow warning triangles in Device Manager. Maybe PG needs an Allow Once procedure for driver installs, rather like the Program Checksum works? That way, I get advised about an issue (when it occurs) and I am in control of an unsolicited installs.

The above are just thoughts on my current understanding of how to get the best from PG. Any suggestions would be appreciated on what is really an innovative product.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Derek, Thanks for your thoughts on driver install. Personally I do not have mmc on my list and have not found it to be a problem, windows updates drivers rarely on this PC though I can see that if you are regularly updating hardware and some low level software this could be a bit of a pain.
    However, I do watch the logging carefully when installing anything new.

May be Jason will include your something like your idea in a later version.

Cheers. Pilli

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.