Detections w/ Adaware...FPs?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fastrack, Apr 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fastrack

fastrack Guest

I recently ran a scan with Adaware, after a recent update, and it found 4 references to "Media Motor" (in the reg). Adaware says it's "malware that operates in stealth, downloads additional trojan downloaders & malware".

Does anyone know if these are false positives? I have programs like IESpyad & SpywareBlaster which could be responsible for the possible FPs.

None of my other scanners seem to find anything like Pest Patrol, MSAS, Spybot, Xcleaner, A2, Ewido ect....

Has anyone else run a fully updated Adaware scan and found these 4 entries? I'm running the latest version of Adaware free, fully updated on an XP sp2 home machine.

Thanks for any help.

2. fastrack

fastrack Guest

I found out the Media Motor detections with Adaware are indeed false positives due to IESpyad, so anyone finding them can relax, they are true false positives. That is if you have IESpyad installed. If you do have IESpyad installed you can always double check too, if you want to, by removing IESpyad and scan again with Adaware.

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just been trying to work this one out as my neighbour also found this with an Adaware scan today and I have IESpyad installed for him - he quaratined the items so should I place them back again?

Strange as I have IESpyad and have just scanned with Ad-aware and this was not found on my computer o_O Edit: I uninstalled IESpyad as when I scanned my notebook Ad-aware found these - reinstalled IESpyad on my main PC and now Ad-aware finds them!

Do we just keep them and not quarantine as they are FP's?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The newest update fixed the Media Motor FP's....and had some new additions to the database.

Todays Updates--->SE1R36 01.04.2005

Updated Defintions:
    ========================
    WindUpdates
    istbar +2
    Rads01.Quadrogram
    IEHIjacker.SearchExe +2
    Win32.TrojanDownloader.Agent.Ay +5

5. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thank you Bubba, I have just downloaded these this morning and ran my scans with a huge relief (I worried all night :oops: ) even though in theory I knew they must be FP's when Lavasoft's forum indicated they may not be it worried me even more :'(

Both my computers are back to normal - just have to re-assure my friend now :) I feel a lot better now ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.