detection rate 1 AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iceman25, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceman25

iceman25 Registered Member

hi

i try to find article or any source of information about detection rate of 1
    engine of anti virus
    last time i saw something like this:

"We have scanned nearly 500,000 computers from January to June 2010 and found that 38% is infected, although these computer users were using an up-to-date anti virus program !"

source: http://www.surfright.nl/en/lp14041594

thanks in advanced

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I wouldn't take this statement seriously. Nowadays AV vendors must react to new borne threats within minutes so the fact that 38% of computers were infected even with very old malware despite being protected by an up-to-date antivirus program sounds odd to say the least.

3. Inside Out

Inside Out Registered Member

Not that far-fetched because they include adware or PUP "infections" among them:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  4. iceman25

iceman25 Registered Member

i still try looking for resources that indicate about detection rate of anti virus
    and when it fail

i find 1 more in here: http://www.seculert.com/why-seculert/

A 2012 test by NSS Labs on 11 anti-virus software solutions concluded that most failed to provide what it deemed to be “adequate protection” — and what’s more, even updated versions were unable to identify threats that had been around for years.

A 2013 test by Palo Alto Networks on 6 anti-virus software solutions found that nearly 40% of the 70,000 malware varieties (or about 28,000) were not detected by a scan.

A 2013 study by Imperva of Redwood City and the Technion — Israel Institute of Technology on 42 anti-virus software solutions revealed that their combined ability to detect newly-created viruses was less than 5%.

some one know how i can get reports of Virus Total for reports that rate detection stand on 10-25% of AV
    or can give me links

thanks in advanced

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  5. silverfox99

silverfox99 Registered Member

AV-Comparatives and AV-TEST might be a couple of other places to look for understanding 'detection rates' of particular AVs in what is a 'controlled' test.

One thing re your original post, it refers to one product, HitmanPro who quote their 'detection rate' of 38% of scans found malware. This could be true and is likely affected by the selection/sample of computers that it scanned. A lot of folk end up at Hitman Pro as they have a serious malware problem and from a little bit of searching on the net, find out that the likes of Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes etc are good places to start to try to identify and remediate the problem.

Not sure the 38% tells you much really due to the sample of computers which will be more likely to be infected than your average computer. What exactly are you trying to identify re 'detection rate of antivirus'?

eg is it 'Take an 'average sample of computers from the average user with say 75% of the sample have up to date AV installed, 25% have nothing or not updated AV, and from that you want to see how many are infected with malware? or are you trying to determine how widespread malware is in the general computer population, or the 'effectiveness' of the average AV or one AV against another?.......

6. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Marcos, a lot of companies remove signatures for old "obsolete" detections. So it is quite possible depending on the vendor.

7. SnowFlakes

SnowFlakes Registered Member

HitmanPro :thumb:

8. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Not only that, they can sometimes remove the generic filters for threats deemed old, and outdated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.