Detection of MS06-040 malware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CloneRanger, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

bigc73542 has suggested starting a new topic would be welcome with regards to this thread : First bot to exploit the MS06-040 vulnerability in Windows has been found : https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=142993&

I saw the post by pykko with the scan results. Only one antivirus company was mentioned by him as doing very well, when in fact there were about three or four others which also detected it, which he failed to also applaud ?

I now know it wasn't pykko who posted the scan results, sorry for the confusion caused by it's removal by a mod

Online virus scanning results are more than just interesting, as they show how quickly some companys react, or not, to the malware they recieve ! If a regular pattern evolves of some companies detecting more malware sooner than some of the others, this can be extremely useful in deciding which antivirus product to choose over the rest, and gaining the edge with early detections and therefore protection.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

even after decades of messing around with av programs it is still amazing how much faster some companies are at posting new defs than others. You would think that after all of the years most of them have been in business they would eventually learn. But it seems some never will.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You would think that if one of the av companies releases early defs that they all could. even some of the really big companies aren't very fast in responding to new threats except in extreme cases.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You can be protected without 3-rd party software, when you:

1. Disable Server Service, if you are not using Windows file sharing.
    2. Disable NetBIOS (137,138,139) and RPC Locator (445) with WWDC.

Note: NetBIOS can be used to get IP via DHCP and for file sharing as well.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

A number of OT posts that either concerned removed posts from this thread or other moderater action which We will not be discussing in public. Please feel free to either PM my person or an Admin with your concerns if you so desire.

Bubba

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Let's see the scan results :)

7. izi

izi Registered Member

Here is scan results: ~snipped link....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2006
  8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Thank you izi . Great results ! :D Giants couldn't detect it heuristically however the situation at that current moment is different and many others are detecting it via signatures :)

The smaller the company is , the better proactive technology it has :D ;) :D

9. pykko

pykko Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :D :blink:
    Is this a famous quoting or what? :D

10. ASpace

ASpace Guest

NO ! :D :D :D :D :D ;)

Did you see the results ? Mostly small vendors detected it + Panda which is from the big one :)

11. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, Bit Defender is not among small vendors. Hope Marcos didn't hear you saying ESET is a small company. :D :D :D

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  12. izi

izi Registered Member

There are only three big companies:
    • Symantec
    • McAfee
    • Trend Micro

13. andyrock

andyrock Registered Member

Panda detects lots of malware as suspicious file!! I don't know about false positives since I don't use it, but from online scanners, the files that I submit are always detected as suspicious by panda.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well big in terms of market share. But honestly there are also big fishes like Microsoft and Kaspersky Lab which has offices all over the globe.

15. TNT

TNT Registered Member

I wouldn't call Kaspersky a "big fish". It might not be tiny, but compared to Symantec and McAfee it's very small.

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

WOW :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Microsoft One Care ? You call Microsoft small company ? ? ? :D :D :D

In my opinion , big companies are : Symantec , McAfee , Trend Micro , Microsoft .Other big players are Kaspersky , Panda.

All others are more or less small compared to others but this is only good , I love small companies like ESET :D I am small company , too ;)

17. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Agree with you! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.