Detection engine guessing on threats?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus v4 Beta Forum' started by dabigoreo, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dabigoreo

dabigoreo Registered Member

Let me start off by saying I'm a staunch NOD32 AV user, supporter, and flag waver. I've been using NOD32 since v2.0 and remember previewing an older version that looked like it was coded for Windows 3.1.

I am currently playing around with the V4 RC and ran an in-depth scan - it reported that file xyz.exe (not real name) "probably" had some kind on Trojan? PROBABLYo_O Maybe I take things too literally but in my mind it should be yes or no...period. I really hope the detection engine is being fine-tuned even further especially after finding this report - http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2008/09_02.

As far as the GUI is concerned, I agree with some other posters here that it may be getting too dumbed down in appearance (eg. Norton, McAfee, etc.). IMHO (In My Humble Opinion, for the acronym challenged) v2.7 is about perfect. For those that think its overly complicated or too techie my advise is go buy Norton or any other "pretty lookin, everything on auto" AV program.

Flame away...:cool:

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Usability is a major issue with the v2.7 interface. I don't think ESET would want to take a step backwards by bringing it back. Also, all the advanced settings are still there, so you arent' missing anything.

3. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

That's a non-signature heuristic detection - it has been reported this way since before v2.5
    the 94.4%+ for on demand is strongly augmented by the ++ for proactive detection and zero false positives... I'm fine with it and I think it's a good result.

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.