Destroying HDD:s

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by emmpe, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmpe

emmpe Registered Member

This is something we've been pondering at work: What would happen if you apply a magnet good for lifting 750 kilogrammes to a hard disk (we use them for lifting rather thick sheet metal)?

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I wouldn't trust that. I suggest if this is work-related and there is sensitive information at all, to use an on-site data destruction service. Actually watch the drives get crushed into dust.

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

I used to think that these "hard drive destruction technique" threads were merely fun and interesting, but ever since Adam Lanza's deliberate destruction of his hard drives before the Connecticut classroom murders and the murder of his mother I've realized that there can be some extremely serious repercussions to these types of discussions. For all we know he may have read some of our threads or followed some of our advice! I'm doing some serious soul-searching about it.

PS: LockBox, I think your advice here is excellent. I also feel that legitimate data-destruction services would be far less likely to appeal to deranged individuals who are planning a murderous rampage.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The same can be said about pretty much any discussion about privacy, but for every bad guy covering his tracks there are millions that just want to safely dispose of an old hard drive.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Best intent and for good only. Nothing else will suffice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.