[desperate] Restoring Acronis Images...but on different systems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Tea_J, Aug 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tea_J

Tea_J Guest

Hi guys

Im REALLY REALLY trying hard to achieve a generic partition image of an XP system that i can successfully restore on different systems.. I really have to prove that this can work..

situation:
    - Im using Acronis TruImage 7 for this.. i just finished creating a clean XP professional install

- computer specs:
    > Intel Celeron 1.8 Ghz
    > 256 DDR Ram
    > ASROck Mobo
    > Samsung 40 GB HD
    > Built in Video and sound on board

During the installtion process, i skipped all installations hardware that were detected automatically in my attempt to create a "generic" image as possible..

When all was done and the image was created, removed the HDD and pluged it into another system with a different processor and mobo:

I booted the HDD and sure enough the OS was visible from the boot selection process.. however, during the safemode boot process where the current system file being booted is displayed, it seemd to freeze on the "mup.sys" file for a while and then it displays a nasty BSOD error! The BSOD suggest that i check for virus, or remove newly installed hard drives or HD controllers.. it also suggested that i run scandisk to check if there are no hard drive corruptions..

I tested the HD also on other systems with same bitter results..

any ideas guys?

is this even possible?

tea

2. noonie

noonie Registered Member

No matter what method you use, you will revert to the xp activation scheme. Drivers are installed for hardware in your system that you cannot change or are probably not even aware of. In addition you will have to deal with the activation.
    If you want to move other installed progs with the os to a diggerent computer, your best bet is to restore an image with Ti, then do a repair install with the xp disk. Then reactivate. This works most of the time.
    Probably what you are looking for is a slipstreamed installation. Google for instructions on that. You still cannot avoid reactivation.

3. Tea_J

Tea_J Guest

Ahh yess, the 3rd similar solution.. thanks man.. i guess that repair method is the only solution right now. will try it out later...

tea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.