Desperate for help on Truecrypt drives no longer loading “Incorrect Password” error

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by fb1, May 7, 2022.

1. fb1

fb1 Registered Member

I had two RAID (mirroring) drives that I removed from the enclosure and installed into a 4 disc (bigger) enclosure along with two more identical new raw drives. The RAID type for this configuration is different to the older 2 drive device that had them running in. This change in RAID seemed to caused a problem with the truecrypt header on the used pair of hard drives as the drives will no longer mount when put in either the 2 or 4 drive enclosures, reporting "incorrect password or not a truecrypt volume".

I am devastated that I have lost all my archives and would try anything to try and get it back and accessible again. In hindsight I should have bought another 2 terabyte and used that as a backup before plugging the drives in but I did not anticipate the disaster that eventuated.

I have read older posts on the net from the user Dantz" about using WinHex to locate the header but all I have is non zero data in sector 0 only a load of 000000's and then a huge block of data further down the drive then 0's again in a gap at the end. I don't have a separate block of data that is apparent to me as the header (if I should be able to see this). I have tried to restore volume header from the backup embedded in the volume, however it says "incorrect password or not a truecrypt volume".

I don't have a recovery disk and it looks like restoring the volume header doesn't work. The drive was prepared in Truecrypt as an entire partition that was not preformatted.

This large archive is precious to me and I need to know what I can do to recover it, if it is at all possible.

Regards,

fb1

2. Stupendous Man

Stupendous Man Registered Member

@fb1,
    I notice you posted exactly the same content as you did August 28, 2014, and you had no posts in between.
    That puzzles me. After eight years, are you still trying to retrieve the data you lost in 2014?
    If so, I hope there is someone that can help you. To me, it doesn't look promising. Encrypting data is all good and well, but in case of a disaster, most likely one loses all data. Keeping more than one backup or archive is the save way of doing things.
    Good luck.

3. longshots

longshots Registered Member

That was a very nice pickup.
    And yes, the reason we encrypt files is so NOBODY can access them without the password - regardless of who they are and the reason they use.

4. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I assume OP has a password. Problem is corrupted, partially deleted TrueCrypt container.
    That kind of mistake using RAID can corrupt filesystem and delete information also when encryption is not used. However recovery of remaining data is harder or impossible when encryption is used.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.