Desktop will not come up at all.

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by hlweyl, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hlweyl

hlweyl Registered Member

Hi all,

My work computer HP Vectra Pentium III running Window's 98 SE is having problems. We left tuesday everything running fine, Wednesday morning it will not boot all the way up.

No new software has been loaded recently. After we log on, windows loads, it flashes real quick then no desktop icons load. All I see is the color of the background. No start menu, no taskbar... nothing.

I went to safe mode, tried restoring registry and fixing registry from DOS, but neither of those worked. My hi-jack log has not changed from last week. I think the main problem is that I cannot see my "Program files" folder under the C drive. Ad-aware will not run, nor any other program that gets stored under program files.

I find it hard to believe that someone inadvertently deleted that folder, I guess it could be a Virus that wacked it. Anybody have any ideas before we wipe the computer clean?

Thanks in advance

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Hlweyl, welcome to Wilders.

Can you try running a scan with your anti-virus program in Safe Mode, as per the instructions found in General Cleaning.

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

3. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, if you have another PC handy, remove the Hard drive, slave it to another computer and run scans from there.

It is quite easy to do and will not take much time or knowledge, basically the computer will see the other Hard drive as storage space and it should auomatically detect when restarted.

Power off both PC's remove power cables, open the case remove the IDE & power cables from the Drive, plug the hard drive into the mother board of the PC using the IDE or sata cable depending on which type it is (should be IDE if u use Win9:cool:, connect the power cable and your done.

If the comp doesnt have a spare IDE connection you can use the 1 from the CD drive or use the 1 from the other PC if the motherboard has two IDE connections.

4. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Do you have any boot CDs, if you don't have another computer?

5. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.