Desktop->To Laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DMFH, Sep 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMFH

DMFH Registered Member

All:

I'm a registered user of the Acronis workstation backup software with Universal Restore. I'm trying to get an image of a Dell desktop XP installation, and then move it to a laptop, specifically, I'm restoring it into a virtual machine created by Parallels on OS/X for prototyping Windows behaviour for work.

A restore demonstrates all the data is there, but booting does not function normally once the system is restored. When the copied system boots, I get a bunch of messages with "multi(0)" in front of them that looks like a long series of drivers. I'm thinking maybe I need to replace a disk driver, or something to get the system to boot.

Could someone point me in the right direction? Many thanks in advance.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I assume you are a person of high religious principles who believes in miracles in daily life. :)

The image of the desktop supports entirely different hardware than is on your laptop. The disk is partitioned differently as well, and finally, you are restoring a WinTel image to a Mac notebook. For it to work on first try would certainly be a miracle of the first magnitude.

One thing the sometimes allows a restore to different hardware to work is to do an "Upgrade in place" reinstallation of Windows XP to the new installation after the restore. Google "Upgrade in place" Microsoft for the Knowledge Base article that explains how to do this. You may have to adapt the instructions for your virtual environment.

Let us know if you are successful because this is a really fascinating problem.

3. DMFH

DMFH Registered Member

Actually, read *carefully* - and thanks for responding quickly to me! :)

I'm not restoring a desktop image to a MacBook Pro bare metal box, I'm restoring it to a virtual machine instance in OS/X under the Parallels utility, which, incidentally, a paid tech support conversation with the Parallels software developers confirmed works - specifically with Acronis. I purchased Acronis with Universal Restore thinking that the different hardware issue is truly addressed by the product.

Could someone from Acronis chime in here with some suggestions? This is definitely purely a booting problem - as the raw files and data gets restored just fine.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello DMFH,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

Please be aware that, as it is mentioned in section 3.7.4 of the Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation User's Guide, you should provide the appropriate drivers while performing system restore to the virtual machine. For example, the widespread VMware environment requires Buslogic or LSI logic drivers. So, please use drivers bundled with your virtual machine software or download the latest drivers versions from the software manufacturer website.

If that does not help, please follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.