Desktop icon problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Senior Sailer, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senior Sailer

Senior Sailer Registered Member

Hi, your depth of accumulated knowlede in this forum can hopfully solve my desk top icon managment.I am using windows xp home with service pack and have all updates.I mainly use Opera for browsing & Thunderbird for mail.
    The specific problem i have right now is that all desktop icons have Lost their allocated screen positions, become mixed & all grouped at the left of the screen.When i attempt to move them to a new position they immediatly return to the bunch at screen left.
    Would any icon managment program return these icons to their original position if they had not previousley been first " saved " with said program.
    A rectification proceedure & and advice for future managment would really be appreciated....thanks in advance.
    Beefuddeled!!!

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Senior Sailer,
    Right click on an empty space of your desktop, which displays a menu.
    Click on "Arrange Icons By"
    Unmark "Auto Arrange".
    Try to move your icons now

If that doesn't help, post back.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2007
  3. Senior Sailer

ErikAlbert
    Thank you for your advise,this doese allow me to move the icons & they do now stayput.
    Do you have any input on " desktop managment Programs" and / or ways of restoring all my Icons to their original positions?
    Onc again many thanks

4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

5. Senior Sailer

Many thanks to you both

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't use any "Desktop Management Programs". My boot-to-restore doesn't allow any change on my system partition and that includes my desktop (icons). I hate changes, especially the changes, I didn't do.
    I'm sure that Hairy Coo's suggestion will do the job. :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.