Desktop Armor VS Winpatrol plus

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ptah, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

Hello, I'm currently running winpatrol plus but I am looking for an upgrade that will take me to the next level of HIPS software. I came across Desktop armor in some post readings and just wanted to get some feed back from everyone out there.

Thanks,
    Ptah

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Desktop Armor and Arovax Shield are in roughly the same *double-A league* as WinPatrol Plus. That is, they are all 3 *pretty good* HIPS. WinPatrol is cream of the crop among this group.

To move up to *The Majors* --- OnlineArmor-AV+ is HIPS-on-steroids. It incorporates a program guard, web guard, mail guard, spam killer, anit-keylogger, HOSTS file protection, & Kaspersky antivirus. Coming soon -- an integral firewall. A very sweet suite!

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

Having used all three, Desktop Armor/Arovax Shield/WinPatrol, i have to disagree ! Desktop Armor does so much more than either, especially Arovax Shield. Just check out all the features and tools etc in Desktop Armor.

Apart from all the other things it covers, it also alerts to possible Phishing attacks, and is the ONLY app i know of that kills ALL WebBugs that follow you around and spy on you on many sites.

I've dropped Arovax Shield but still use WinPatrol, as it covers a few things that Desktop Armor doesn't. No problems ever running both in real time.

OnlineArmor/OnlineArmor-AV are indeed very good products, and having participated in the OnlineArmor Beta i can highly recommend it. But i don't think you would be dissapointed whatsoever also having Desktop Armor in your line of defences too. I know they offer a 30 day trial, so as you've nothing to lose give it a go !

StevieO

4. Ptah

Ptah Registered Member

How does System Safety Monitor fit into the HIPS / IDS arena against the mentioned programs and Online armor?

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

SSM is primarily an application firewall that also guards processes & registry. It does a superb job and is VERY configurable.

OnlineArmor-AV+ provides a broader scope of protection than does SSM (as detailed in my post above). My suggestion -- try them both!

6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    You can try to install them all, and then observe if you like the things that will happen to your pc while using it for several days. I mean, installing more of this programs add up to more pop-ups and learning and it also adds up to more advanced protection for your system. Others don't like so much pop-ups coming up in their screen cause it can makes them nervous or can't really decide on what to click. :D :cool: ;)

It really depends on your surfing habits, budget and intelligence...:cautious: ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.