Desktop : anchor or not to anchor

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by MerleOne, Apr 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,
    I recently tried FD-ISR (last build) on a XP machine (a Netbook). I chose at first to anchor All User Desktop and my User Desktop. I created 2 other snapshots.

I did some install on the primary snapshot, then rebooted to the 2nd, and saw logically enough that most icons on the desktop were broken, because they pointed to non existing items. I then decided to un-anchor desktop, and I saw that only the primary snapshot has non standard icons on the desktop. The others, that existed in second and third snapshots (or rather were anchored) are gone. I found a way to get back to initial situation, but I would like to know other forum members position on this : is it best to anchor or no the desktop(s) ?
    Thanks.

2. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

I did at one time but stopped when I discovered, the hard way, that the anchored files are not included in an archive. I suppose that if you used the Primary to define the anchors and then just before creating an archive you 'unanchored' those files, created the archive(s) and then re-anchored the files it would be OK.
    I never tried ''unanchoring' while in any snapshot other than Primary.
    So, my vote would be: No, but it's just one vote and others may differ.
    Jim C

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I for sure wouldn't anchor the desktop. Actually due to the way I use FDISR, I've stopped anchoring altogether.

Pete

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Same here. With data on a separate partition and sufficient disk space, I don't anchor at all. I DO have separate snapshots I can boot to with pristine or totally different desktops from my primary and that's the way I want it.

I would say just thoroughly understand the consequences of anchoring before you decide to make that part of the way you do things.

5. MerleOne

Thanks all for your answers about anchoring. Currently I do need anchoring, at least for "my documents" folder, which is still on my C: partition. I think the real problem comes from the fact that I have unanchored something, so that wasn't part of other snapshots than the primary one. After having un-anchored, and booted into the secondary snapshot, that something (the desktop) was suddenly missing and hence reset to windows default. So it's pretty risky to anchor then un-anchor after snapshots have been created.

I may have another question regarding but it's for another thread...

6. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Move desktop to other partitions using TweakUI .

7. MerleOne

I think it would be the same as anchoring it ?

8. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Up to this point in the discussion, yes, but consider that you could have different desktops on different non-system partitions or folders, each corresponding to a particular snapshot, if need be.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That's what I do, so it reminds me I may not be where I thought I was.

10. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Its easier than data anchoring , and works without fdisr too ,ie for imaging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.