Deserves some attention: Anvir task manager

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Kees1958, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

I like this freebie, does the same as WinPatrol, only has the nice feature to mark new arrivals (by showing it in bold). Certainly a nice proggie with a upload to virus total and the possibility to remove the file with FileAssasin.

I am not running it all the time (is a waist of CPU). Still it list new startup entries. For people who are looking for a very light easy to use intrusion use
    a) Windows Defender (pops-up with changes and can be set to create a restore point)
    Weak thing about Windows Defender is when XP is also shut down, it won't repeat its question (to allow or disable) with next boot. For these rare occasions you can go use task manager, check what is bold and delete it.

Off course not a HIPS, but an idea for people not liking HIPS.

WindowsDefender = pre-infection warning + restore (but not water tight)
    Anvir taskmanager = for those Windows Defender failures as post infection clean up.

Only downside there is no undo when you delete an entry, so be carefull!

Regards Kees

Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

3. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

I tested that Giveaway of the Day version and I really love it. You can do lots of nice things with it. Recommended!

EDIT: Special offer for users of Giveaway of the Day. Today we give 25% discount on all our software. Coupon code GAOTD25. Pro version gives more options and price is $34.95 for a lifetime license. It's intresting that last time when this program was in Giveaway of the Day was December 13, 2007. IMO Quite often...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  4. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I have been using the free version for awhile now.

5. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Does the program need to be run resident, and if so, are there any noticable slowdowns on your PC?

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

It seems to imply it should be, but when you run it ad hoc it will still show you the changes, so NO

7. Dieselman

Its a task manager. Its does bot need to run in real time. Its give you more detail then Process explorer.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am quiete satisfied/ used to with Process Explorer and Auroruns.

9. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

This is just too funny...I had to post it. I just purchased the AnVir Security Sute because it was 50% (using Discount Code: donationcoder). It comes with an antirootkit named Free Anti Rootkit Tool ....or FART! Haha :argh: :argh: :argh: that's too funny!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  10. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks, downloaded it. I wonder when the license expires. You have to register it as "Giveawayoftheday." It doesn't say how long it is good for. Reminds a little bit of Security Task Manager by Neuber Software.

11. springheal

springheal Registered Member

The license does not ever expire, however, you are not entitled to any updates and should you attempt to re install after the GAOTD has expired, you will only be able to trial it or buy it.
    So, if it is a keeper for you, do not loose it !!

12. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks. No problems with it so far. I'll try it for a while and see.

13. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Had no need for it on my towers or lap tops but it will run from a USB drive. Just follow the instructions included. Should come in handy when trouble shooting friends and families PCs.

14. Matern

Matern Registered Member

What is with the Anti-Virus Modul ? Is it good for anything and will it update frequently?

15. MikeNAS

Not a single idea about AV module. You can just scan on-demand with that. IMO no reason to buy or use it so Pro version is best to buy. Just send files to VirusTotal if you think that there is something wrong.

EDIT: There is something intresting when you try to buy that software and read license. Before you click buy there reads: free subscription to updates of the software. I understand that all future updates are free so license is lifetime. Okay then I click buy and there is item called: 3 additional years of update and tech support - 30.00 USD.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  16. Matern

Matern Registered Member

If you look at the Standard Version of AnVir-Taskmanager under Tools-> Options, there are some Settings for a Realtime AV, because this Version have no OnDemmand Scanner, but there is no Information about the Database, last Update etc.
    Searching for a Database File on my PC-> nothing.
    Maybe they override the complete exe after an Update, but the Security Features seems to be a Marketing Gag, but no reputable Security app.
    So IMO the Freeware Anvir Taskmanager is enough, the other Versions give you nothing more.

17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´ve checked it out, but it´s a bit too much for me, I still prefer my standalone tools, but this still might come in handy sometimes. ;)

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

So far I like this. It seems to have more info and more options than Processexplorer. It is nice not to have to open Processmonitor to check what and why some process suddenly starts to grind the harddrive.
    I cant yet find where to look for what processes svchost and other containers contains tho (as you can do in PE) I´ll have to play with it a bit more, but there is a lot of info to gather if one wants.
    I notice that the Pro version has a sniffer that looks interesting.

19. Dieselman

I like it alot. Gives you a million more features then Process Explorer. You can stop and change your services on the fly. I like it for PunkBusters.

20. MikeNAS

I get exect information...

The license is lifetime for the version that you buy. One year of updates and tech support is included.

After 1 year at any time you can update to the current version with 50% off.

Also when you buy a license for additional $19.95 you can buy 3 additional years of updates and tech support.

EDIT: CHECK THIS OUT!!! With Plimus (the second reseller) 3 additional years of update and tech support - 30.00 USD and with ShareIt same is 19.95 USD.

21. Arup

Arup Guest

Usually I don't bother with GOTD but this is few times it has given away a good program and this one is certainly among the good ones, its like Process Exploer and Task Manager on steroids.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2008
  22. MikeNAS

Totally agreed. Thinking to buy Pro version because it offers some more and price isn't that bad with 50% discount.

23. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi ,
    Yes , Yes : AnVir Task Manager Pro : some $ $ $ , CPU -3 % , Memory -9 Mb , Pagefile -20 Mb , Disk -5 Kb/s - at ILYA\1 ...
    THANKS , no ...:-*

24. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Version 5.2 is up for grabs at GAOTD atm.

25. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

LMAO...

This labels NTP as "High Risk" process... :rolleyes: In case someone's unaware, this software an open-source reference implementation of NTP protocol. The Meinberg Time Server Monitor which is a little utility to monitor the above NTP daemon is also highly risky.

Comodo AntiMalware and Secunia PSI are only a medium risk though :p - so are FSC ServerView and ServerView RAID and Windows IPSec, Kerberos and Certificate services or Protected Storage. :D

Upon clicking on Connections tab, the whole thing produces a spectacular crash. :blink: The whole GUI is messy like hell. Gimme a break...

Uninstalled after 10 minutes. :thumbd:

Edit: Left lots of registry keys behind, plus one .EXE and one .DLL in Program Files...

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.