DEP XP - System > Startup & Recovery question ("/fastdetect"?)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Jun 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If I change the Opt-In status it comes as by default by editing the Notepad file in "Startup & Recovery" under the Advanced tab in "System" in the Control Panel, and change "OptIn" to "AlwaysOn", it leaves it then saying: "/fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOn" And all "appears" to be fine.

But if I change the default Opt-In to Opt-Out instead first by going to the "Performance" section, then the "Settings" box, then choosing the "Data Execution and Prevention" tab and setting it to Opt-Out there then restarting. And THEN later on change it to AlwaysOn by using the aforementioned method, editing that Notepad file, I notice the "/fastdetect" comes AFTER the "/NoExecute=AlwaysOn".

So is one way not working correctly as opposed to the other? And if so, which way should I be doing this? Does the placement of "/fastdetect" have any bearing on the effectiveness of DEP? I'd like to have this set up correctly.

Thanks for any help. I'm especially hoping that LarryPepper chimes in here since I know he's spent a lot of time studying this particular area as of late. But I welcome input from anyone, as I know there are many knowledgeable members here.

Personally I changed mine to OptOut initially from OptIn, and then just recently changed it to AlwaysOn. And I noticed this discrepancy compared to when I changed it directly to AlwaysOn from it's default state of OptIn.

2. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

surprised that no one in here knows the answer to this... perhaps it was too long? Allow me to sum up then:

Why does that " /fastdetect" sometimes come BEFORE the " /noexecute=AlwaysOn", and sometimes AFTER it? And does it make any difference regarding DEP's effectiveness?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.