Dep on XP - set to Always On

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by luciddream, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

All this time later, I still learn new things on XP from time to time. I just discovered this tweak about a week ago to have my DEP as always on. I never knew it was possible on XP before then... just opt-in & opt-out. Here you go, it's toward the bottom:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

I'd also like to add that I was surprised to see that doing this actually decreased my RAM usage by 20 MB at system boot. I thought that if anything it would increase it.

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

20MB is nothing - probably a fluke.

But yeah, considering how insecure XP is I'd be sure to take any measure possible. DEP being Always On is a smart move.

3. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

No fluke. It happens every time. When I used to boot my PC it'd be around 240 MB every time. Now it's around 220 MB every time.

May not seem like much to most, but to me it's almost 10% of my total. lol, hardly peanuts. I'll take it!

Also, I've managed to remain uncompromised on this "insecure" OS. And since it's light, stable, and does everything I need it to do, I see no need to plunk down hundreds of dollars or change anything right now.

Meanwhile I'm almost perpetually being asked to fix my friends/families computers running Vista/7. And with 8+ gigs of RAM, this little dated box of mine runs circles around theirs. Go figure...

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Xp is only insecure in the wrong hands not a veteran wilders member.

5. Hmmmm maybe, XP is notoriously buggy.

6. guest

guest Guest

"Xp is only insecure in the wrong hands"

Agreed:thumb:

and has a lot less junk that needs to be striped out
    one day I may sit down and start dissecting Win 7
    nay, one day soon it may be time for Linuxo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.